Can i mark my putter?

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I flit between an Oddyssey half mallet putter and an old Ping Pal, but mainly use the Ping as it suits my stroke better.

The Oddyssey has 3 lines on it, and i find it very easy to line up with, but the Ping just has a tiny half inch line which makes lining up more difficult

1001573.jpg

When i practice i mark a line along the back of the putter using nail varnish , thus extending the small line, which i can then remove easily enough.

My question is, am i allowed to do this for competitive play? It really does help. What are the rules regarding marking clubs? I know i could google it but i think it's good to know for everyone

Cheers

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Features above the top line of the head:

• For putters, alignment or other features must not extend above the top line of the face by more than 0.25 inches (6.35mm) – see Figure 25.

• For woods and irons, features which otherwise meet the requirements for ‘plain in shape’ must not extend above the top line of the head by more than 0.1 inch (2.54mm).

• Permanent or semi-permanent lines or other markings which have been painted, inscribed or otherwise incorporated (see Section 4-General(iv)) for alignment purposes are permitted.

http://www.randa.org/en/Equipment/A-guide-to-the-rules-on-clubs-and-balls.aspx?chapter=6