Can I hit better players clubs? I want to...

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m a high handicapper and I’m at peace with that. One day I will, like many of you, be able to hit 350 yard drives ;) and produce ‘gentle draw’ shots. I am already mean with a set of Crayola. Felt tips next.

I digress, I have a Driver designed to help avoid those BIG misses to the right (which I can still do) and irons which help get the ball in the air (I can hit the moon with a 9-iron). All aimed at ‘higher handicap’ players.

Now, my fairway wood is slightly older and before the time of this obsession with ‘players’ clubs or SGI/GI Joe whatever clubs, yet I manage to strike it better than all of my other clubs without exception. Compared to modern fairway woods, it has a small head so ostensibly, ‘less forgiving’. (There are a lot of bunny rabbit ears in this post).

This slowly brings me to my point. Can I hit clubs aimed at the lower handicapper? Specifically I’m looking at HYBRIDS. I was in AG this lunch time as it’s payday, ready to splurge (great word, wrong context?)my not hard earned cash (I’m at work as I type this) on said hybrid, but they’re all so HUGE!! These do not appeal to me at all. They look unwieldy and I’d rather have a bash with my 4 iron than one of these beasts.

Now, the models that did appeal were aimed at, shall we say golfers, not hackers like me. For example, the Adams 9031, Adams A12 Pro etc.

So, the question is, can I hit one of these successfully? Would they be at all useful? Or should I know my place and buy something enormous and garish.

Answers on a postcard please, or failing that, you can reply to this thread, which would be lovely and I would be most grateful.

Cheers

Linnets

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can't answer the question about whether you can hit 'better players clubs' but as far as hybrids go, if you are looking for smaller headed clubs then have a look at the Cobra Amp-cell hybrids, they are very small to look at when addressing the ball and have the added benefit of adjustability so you can set the club up to suit your preferred flight path. I'm a high handicapper like you and I can hit them a treat, I genuinely believe these clubs have helped me to chop 6 shots off my handicap this year, they are that easy to hit compared to a 4 or 5 iron.

dotty001

Challenge Tour Pro
www.quidco.com
handicap isnt about what clubs you can hit , you might strike your irons great but be a twonk round the greens or awful off the tee

why not try them , get fitted and see what comes out best

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
hit anything you want. you have to hit GI clubs quite well to make them work as well. you play off 19, so you can hit the ball. buy what suits your eye.

adams a12 pro is easier to hit than a 4 iron.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Same pie, different gravy, but......

When I was off 18, I decided to ditch my Taylormade R7 game improvers for a set of MP-32 cut muscle back irons ..... Bit of a jump.

Either way, I had absolutey no issue hitting them.

I currently have a set of 'players' irons (Mizuno MP63) and have no issue hitting these either. When I got them, I was off 16, I'm now off 14 (13.8) and should be up for a further reduction in the annual review.

In short, yes, you'll be able to hit them.

A bad shot is a bad shat whether you hit a blade or super game improvers. The difference is the amount of forgiveness on offer when you do catch it wrong.

Hit SG irons anywhere on the face, you'll still get a decent result. Not so with a blade.

Muzuno's MP Titanium fairway range was aimed at the 'better player'. I had no issue hitting these either.

My current Titleist woods apparently aren't forgiving. I beg to differ, ut have no problem hitting these either.

Get yourself off to a place where you can hit the clubs you're looking to buy and see how they feel to you after a good thrash on a range :thup:

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You can hit whatever you want. If it feels good and performs as you would like choose anything available. There's a lot of balls written and spoken about equipment (largely facilitated by manufacturers) saying it has to be perfect, perimeter weighted, sweet spot optimised, game improving blah blah blah. Choose something you like and apply yourself to learning to hit it well through the best technique you can muster.

(I'm a spineless victim of this propaganda before you ask - i use a £300 driver to average 250yds (sorry, 330 - forget i'm online, sometimes) when i can hit my sons £7 effort 225yds (that's 280 forumyards) which appears to be made from lollysticks and gaffer tape and has a shaft with a lag time of approx. 8 minutes from starting the downswing to impact).

Forget large and garish improver stuff - especially for hybrids you mention - get the best looking most awesome looking equipment you can afford and commit to a decent practice plan.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Have a look and swing of the Cobra Amp Cell hybrids, easy to hit and adjustable for draw etc

Have the clubs you want and not the clubs you are expected to hit, what ever makes you enjoy the game

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Short answer is, of course you can!

Some of these hybrids today are behemoths and bigger than drivers were a few years ago.

Look at Titleist 910h as one of the better clubs out there.