Can clubs discriminate over Joining Fees?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't have the link as I listened to everything through Spotify when I'm in the car. The podcast is under the name. Of talking golf as Hugh Mar has a series of them, his one with Denis Pugh is good to. If you Google Talking Golf Podcast then you should be able to find the right one.
Great, thanks 👍👍

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The payment of fee's is done purely as a business decision. If a club is so popular that it can charge a joining fee (most in my area don't except the top links courses) then it is entirely their choice who they charge what. It isn't a course discriminating against men, it's simply a club hoping to entice women. Maybe they charge men because they don't want anymore, so try to make themselves less appealing to men?
No the men’s is ten short.

This all started when the women became full members , we thought as full members they would be exactly like us but that’s not the case when it comes to the JF , this puts some men off joining as it’s a lot of money.

My mate was going to join but the JF stopped him as he said he could not justify the outlay to his wife.
Who ironically was going to join at half the price but decided not to when he didn’t.

There are not many clubs that don’t want men joining these days.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
No the men’s is ten short.

This all started when the women became full members , we thought as full members they would be exactly like us but that’s not the case when it comes to the JF , this puts some men off joining as it’s a lot of money.

My mate was going to join but the JF stopped him as he said he could not justify the outlay to his wife.
Who ironically was going to join at half the price but decided not to when he didn’t.

There are not many clubs that don’t want men joining these days.

Tbh, i wouldn't pay a joining fee for a course that wasn't a top 100 course. That said, if i had to and women didn't it wouldn't concern me. Those are the clubs you stay at for 20/30 years. A joining fee is peanuts compared to the total fee's you'll pay.

I think your post also proves another reason why prices may differ. You mate obv considered many reasons why he'd join and decided he wouldn't due to the fee. Meaning he was happy with everything else, facilities, social aspects etc. His wife simply decided against it because her husband wouldn't be playing. Men will generally find a playing group easier simply due to who many many will be members.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How exactly then does your example show that.
Ask her to do your finances she’s good at maths.
She could be the number two in the government in the future !
And the way politics are at the moment that’s possible.

She was put in a seat she couldn’t lose for quotas.
If you positively discriminate that means you are excluding someone else that’s not right imo.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
25yrold goes into a pub and buys a pint of lager£3.50.
40yr old goes in same pub buys a pint of lager £4.00
He’s the drinker of the future is that ok.
I don’t think so.

If it was a private members pub, that would be fine.

You then have to make the choice. Do you want to drink there or not? If you think it's not value, then you leave.

D

Deleted member 15344

25yrold goes into a pub and buys a pint of lager£3.50.
40yr old goes in same pub buys a pint of lager £4.00
He’s the drinker of the future is that ok.
I don’t think so.

You sound like the seniors at our place always moaning about what other people pay but when it comes to value for money some people get a great deal more out of it

One of the pinch points in golf is trying to get ladies to play and to do that many clubs are offering incentives to get into the sport - just like they are doing with younger people , why does it matter to you ? It’s not discriminatory or sexist etc etc and you have a choice - if you don’t think it’s fair then join somewhere else , if you think your fees give you value for money then what other people pay is irrelevant

And I have no idea what the hell Diane Abbott has to do with it all

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You sound like the seniors at our place always moaning about what other people pay but when it comes to value for money some people get a great deal more out of it

One of the pinch points in golf is trying to get ladies to play and to do that many clubs are offering incentives to get into the sport - just like they are doing with younger people , why does it matter to you ? It’s not discriminatory or sexist etc etc and you have a choice - if you don’t think it’s fair then join somewhere else , if you think your fees give you value for money then what other people pay is irrelevant

And I have no idea what the hell Diane Abbott has to do with it all
I could be a senior at your club what’s that got to do with it.?
It’s got a bit off the op.
IT was about discrimination or positive discrimination in golf clubs
I was told the JF creates loyalty to the club .
So they don’t expect the same loyalty from female members.
JF is antiquated and nobody should be paying it imo.

DA was just a warning that Positive Discrimination dosnt always work.
But hey it’s just my opinion.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it was a private members pub, that would be fine.

You then have to make the choice. Do you want to drink there or not? If you think it's not value, then you leave.
But you have committed your future to this pub by paying a hefty joining fee.
But have members that havnt ?

D

Deleted member 15344

I could be a senior at your club what’s that got to do with it.?
It’s got a bit off the op.
IT was about discrimination or positive discrimination in golf clubs
I was told the JF creates loyalty to the club .
So they don’t expect the same loyalty from female members.
JF is antiquated and nobody should be paying it imo.

DA was just a warning that Positive Discrimination dosnt always work.
But hey it’s just my opinion.

Can you please explain why Abbott is a sign that positive discrimination doesn’t work ? What does she have to do with it all ?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
But you have committed your future to this pub by paying a hefty joining fee.
But have members that havnt ?
Whilst you're trying to compare apples with oranges to make a point. A bar is different to a golf club.

It is still your choice. You knew the fee when you joined. Either you think it's value or not. FAIR is totally irrelevant. If businesses were run to be fair, then there would be a lot more to grumble about than a golf club.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can you please explain why Abbott is a sign that positive discrimination doesn’t work ? What does she have to do with it all ?
All I was trying to do is point out PD dosnt always work,
She was put into a 100% safe seat so she would be in jezzas gang.
She must be one of the most incompetent mps ever.
But all those points about golf clubs and you pick this one to highlight.

I paid my joining fee because it’s the best course around here .
It’s just my opinion that anyone who joins and is equal to all the others that have paid it should pay as well.
I can see the discount for youngsters but not for anyone else .
By the way lots of seniors 55+ are still working and don’t get any more than anyone else.

D

Deleted member 15344

All I was trying to do is point out PD dosnt always work,
She was put into a 100% safe seat so she would be in jezzas gang.
She must be one of the most incompetent mps ever.
But all those points about golf clubs and you pick this one to highlight.

I paid my joining fee because it’s the best course around here .
It’s just my opinion that anyone who joins and is equal to all the others that have paid it should pay as well.
I can see the discount for youngsters but not for anyone else .
By the way lots of seniors 55+ are still working and don’t get any more than anyone else.
Sorry but you still haven’t explained PD and Diane Abbot and suspect you won’t because it was utterly ridiculous to even attempt to use it as a comparison because it’s irrelevant

Thankfully people like yourself don’t get involved in recruitment of people to golf with your attitude - people being able to join without a JF has no relevance to when you joined and had to pay one , there is loads of different people who don’t pay a JF for differing reasons - doesn’t bother me

If a club has done it to attract ladies and it works then they should be applauded and the club long term will see the benefits of a diverse membership.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry but you still haven’t explained PD and Diane Abbot and suspect you won’t because it was utterly ridiculous to even attempt to use it as a comparison because it’s irrelevant

Thankfully people like yourself don’t get involved in recruitment of people to golf with your attitude - people being able to join without a JF has no relevance to when you joined and had to pay one , there is loads of different people who don’t pay a JF for differing reasons - doesn’t bother me

If a club has done it to attract ladies and it works then they should be applauded and the club long term will see the benefits of a diverse membership.

DA tried my best but if you can’t see it that’s ok. Political parties used PD to up the numbers of female MPs , possibly to the detriment of better qualified men. I wasn’t trying to compare them just show PD is not always the answer.
JF it dosnt bother you that’s fine!
“My attitude “that equality should mean what it says, that’s what I belive and it won’t change.
Joining a private golf club is a luxury not affordable for lots of people , so should not be discounted because of your sex.

Last edited: