Can anyone recommend sunglasses?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi

My eyes are suffering at the moment.

Want to try sunglasses but don’t want to spend too much as don’t normally wear them.

Anyone recommend some good for golf?
I love my Oakley M Frame glasses for golf due to the wrap around design.

However, have bought so cycling glasses to use in the car which are very good and much cheaper.

As with most things - add the work golf and see the price rise.

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Clear vote for Oakleys then.

Do people wear them all the time? I have started to suffer from hey fever / heat (waiting on Doctors to confirm). My thinking is the sunglasses will help

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Thanks everyone.

Clear vote for Oakleys then.

Do people wear them all the time? I have started to suffer from hey fever / heat (waiting on Doctors to confirm). My thinking is the sunglasses will help

Yes I wear mine 99.9% of the time I play golf. I have a couple of different lenses, mainly stick with my golf specific lens however if it is really dull/overcast I throw the yellow lenses into them which for me are ideal. I wear mine due to having minor UV damage to the front of the eye which was picked up at a routine eye test plus I suffer quite badly from dry eyes which mean my eyes stream quite badly in any wind. The glasses have made a huge difference.

As has been said earlier do not scrimp when it comes to your eyes.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Oakleys are very expensive, but my experience is that they last much longer. I got well over 10 years out of my last ones, and my current ones (Half Jacket) are best part of 8 years old, and still absolutely fine.

And I find they do help with my hay fever, especially when worn with contact lenses.

hacker_al

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone use Oakleys with prescription in them?

Have always used the normal lenses but tempted to try the prescription ones as my eyes start to get a bit worse

I had a couple of pairs with Oakley prescription lenses in and they were awesome, the quality of their lenses is second to none. These were single vision lenses and although they were pricey, well worth it.
Unfortunately I now need varifocals so price is even higher and I can't afford it.

One thing to be careful of though, make sure you are getting the genuine Oakley prescription lenses, some companies will reglaze a frame for you with a different manufacturers lens.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Anyone use Oakleys with prescription in them?

Have always used the normal lenses but tempted to try the prescription ones as my eyes start to get a bit worse

Yes I have, but took them out. Mainly because my prescription is for old man eyes, e.g. close up stuff, which meant that it was worse trying to see the ball at distance. It didn't occur to me at the time because the prescription I had was quite light, I could wear the glasses and still see people around the office without issue. It was only when I was driving, or trying to watch the ball further than 100yds that I realized the prescription wasn't good for distance. Think the company that sold them to me also should have been able to tell me that it was a close up only prescription and possibly not what I was needing for sunglasses if using for driving etc. My prescription now is rapidly increasing,and no way I can see anything in focus more than a metre away (won't do bifocals.....) so wouldn't do prescription again, especially as I can see the ball at 200 yds plus anyways.

They are quite an expense too.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Another vote for Oakley Prizms. Absolutely top notch.

I've got a pair of standard Oakley Flak Jacket with polarised lenses that I have had for about 10 years now. They are really good, top quality and worth the expense. I recently bought a pair of Flak Draft frames with Golf Prizm lenses in. I'm still mixed on wearing them. They do enhance green colour, whatever level of sunlight there is, making it easier to read greens etc. but, they are not polarized, consequently you can get a bit of glare at times. I am still getting used to them, but I'm wearing them a lot more now, unless it is a really bright cloudless day, in which case I'll go back to the polarized version.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went to TK Maxx for mine. They had a massive array of sunglasses, none of which cost anymore than about £18. Picked out some ones I liked. Job done.

D

Deleted member 15344

Oakleys are very expensive, but my experience is that they last much longer. I got well over 10 years out of my last ones, and my current ones (Half Jacket) are best part of 8 years old, and still absolutely fine.

And I find they do help with my hay fever, especially when worn with contact lenses.

Oakleys are expensive but you get the quality for the price , they last long , the lenses last longer and they also protect your eyes.

All the cheap ones from Boots or Tesco’s etc won’t be proper lenses in them to protect your eyes etc from the UV rays - they are cheap for a reason.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Serious question about these wrap-around shades that you all seem to love. Whenever I've tried shades with curved lenses like that I hate them, they distort the ground slightly for me and make it feel like I'm walking downhill all the time. I can't stand them. Does nobody else have that problem?? I always have to buy the 'wayfarer' style shades where the lenses are completely flat.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Serious question about these wrap-around shades that you all seem to love. Whenever I've tried shades with curved lenses like that I hate them, they distort the ground slightly for me and make it feel like I'm walking downhill all the time. I can't stand them. Does nobody else have that problem?? I always have to buy the 'wayfarer' style shades where the lenses are completely flat.
No, no problem for me. That may be because you are buying poor glasses so the lenses are not that great (that is not a dig by the way, I bought £20 sunglasses for many years until I bit the bullet). Equally, they may just not suit you irrespective of the quality.

I have some Oakley wrap arounds and have no issue with them. I wear them playing golf, driving, walking etc