Can a CONGU handicap come down even if...

winartois

Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not to golf. I've been playing for a number of years but have only recently started to learn it a bit more detail about how handicaps work.

I hold an annual golf weekend for a few friends and I, and we use these rounds to generate handicaps for future trips (they're literally only based on and used for the rounds on these trips).

So, this year when I went to adjust the handicaps, I noticed that one of the players, who didn't score over 31 Stapleford points all weekend (Fri - 30pts, Sat - 31pts, Sun - 20pts), has had is handicap lowered based on the CONGU system. Am I doing my maths correctly?

I know Stapleford and CONGU handicaps don't go hand in hand, but I thought there's no way his handicap could go down after these three rounds!

This guy in question plays off 26. My procedure was to firstly adjust his scores so that the maximum strokes he made on any one hole was a double bogie (as per CONGU regulations). This resulted in him scoring in the low 90's, and with a high SS, he shot under his handicap, hence being cut.

Have I done this correctly?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
congu handicaps are calculated on stableford points. if the players handicap has gone down it will of been because of scores at his home course?

The rounding to double bogey is NETT double after an a handicap is calculated and not gross double (this only applies in the allocation process of initial handicap)

winartois

Visit site
Ah, I see.

So lets say hole #1 is a par 5 and SI 1.

That means he gets 2 strokes (as he plays of 26) - so the maximum score he can have is 9 (Par 5 + 2 handicap strokes + 2 max double bogie)?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, I see.

So lets say hole #1 is a par 5 and SI 1.

That means he gets 2 strokes (as he plays of 26) - so the maximum score he can have is 9 (Par 5 + 2 handicap strokes + 2 max double bogie)?

yes but you are over complicating it. as already posted CONGU is based on stableford; stableford scoring has already done all this for you!

all you need to look at is the relationship between a players stableford score and the theoretical score to play to handicap on that course (if par = SSS then that will be 36; if, for example, par = SSS+2 then it's 38 etc) and make you adjustments based on the difference between the score and these figures according to the handicap category (I'm assuming you aren't using CSS calculations as well as that would be pretty pointless and definitely an over complication!)

winartois

Visit site
Ok, so if par = SSS, then what happens to a 26 handicapper if he scores:

31 points
or
41 points

How do the points effect his handicap?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
par is actually compared to CSS (the standard scratch score for the competition) but assuming CSS=SSS then to play to handicap a player would need to score 36 points. so a 26 handicapper would need to score 32 points to be in his buffer. With a score of 31 points his handicap would increase by 0.1. If he scored 41 points (5 points above CSS) then his handicap would decrease by 5 x 0.4 which is 2.