Can a competition be a qualifying competition if number of golf clubs in your bag is restricted?

wjemather

Visit site
If the number of clubs is restricted by the terms of competition, scores are not acceptable for handicapping.

In legacy terms, the competition must be "non qualifying".

Jules rules

Visit site
But I believed restriction of clubs is NOT a reason for a competition to be declared a non qualifier .. if it meets the requirements for a qualifying competition course length temporary tees etc then it should be a qualifier …

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
But I believed restriction of clubs is NOT a reason for a competition to be declared a non qualifier .. if it meets the requirements for a qualifying competition course length temporary tees etc then it should be a qualifier …

See Rule 2 of the Rules of Handicapping - page 30

Jules rules

Visit site
Yes I can see 3 clubs and a putter which I agree is a fun competition…

But I can see that it clearly states if the number and type of golf club is restricted that it can be a NQ ..

I thought restricting number of golf club rule had been abolished in the past because it was abused … Now it seems to have been reintroduced … Wow We can play a measured course restrict number of clubs in bag and don’t have to enter scores…

Last edited:

wjemather

Visit site
Yes I can see 3 clubs and a putter which I agree is a fun competition…

But I can see that it clearly states if the number and type of golf club is restricted that it can be a NQ ..

I thought restricting number of golf club rule had been abolished in the past because it was abused … Now it seems to have been reintroduced … Wow We can play a measured course restrict number of clubs in bag and don’t have to enter scores…
The illustration are examples of when scores are simply not acceptable for handicapping. As such, holding such a competition as a "qualifier" is not an option.

Restricting the number of clubs is not playing by the rules of golf; and such a restriction does not allow players to make the best score possible on each hole in accordance with the rules of handicapping.

Jules rules

Visit site
Thank you Yes I can see and understand what you are saying but believe club restriction is open to abuse … Particularly in the winter and thought that is why we were told NOT to allow restriction of clubs in the past … we have an irons trophy competition and are usually amazed at sone scores which are returned..Thank you for your reply

wjemather

Visit site
Thank you Yes I can see and understand what you are saying but believe club restriction is open to abuse … Particularly in the winter and thought that is why we were told NOT to allow restriction of clubs in the past … we have an irons trophy competition and are usually amazed at sone scores which are returned..Thank you for your reply
Any clubs implementing any special terms of competition such as this as a means to circumvent the rules of handicapping should be reported to their county union.