callaway x20 users

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
anyone who uses x20's in need of a gap wedge? Dont wanna pay the 80,90 quid most decent ones go for?

I checked out callaway's website to check my exact degree's for my irons.

Turns out my pw is 45 and my sw is 55 so the perfect gap would be 50. And Callaway actually make the gap wedge in a 50 in the X20. Best thing is, only costs 53 quid too so i have one on the way.

Just somethin to bear in mind

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
I bought my X20's a couple of months ago and am really pleased with them. I found out the PW was 45degrees and then went for 52 and 58 X-Tour wedges. Your solution would have been cheaper, but I have to say I love the set up I have.

Cheers.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No wonder you buggers hit the ball so far!!

Ping do a similar thing with the lofts,got a mate who is about the same(bit longer) from the tee but a club longer with his irons. Turns out they are a club stronger in loft,sneaky.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have found that with my G10s Nico. I was embarrasingly slow at working it out, but for my first few rounds I just could not realise why I was over shooting the green so much when I usually wouldn't have. I now just hit a club less and they work a treat. The lofts were only 2* less on each club (46* G10 PW, 48* macgregor) but it still made a significant difference.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
yeah my 695cb are 2 degrees stronger than my old 690mb according to the pro, so i can swing i bit slower to keep my ball flight down

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone know why Callaway do this? Is it a marketing gimmick designed to make you think you hit the ball further with their clubs?

I wanted to make sure my gap was filled equally and i didnt really fancy havn't a set of wedges that dont match, not being snobby but i mean in weight etc.

So the gap sits nicely in the middle. I am tempted to get rid of my current 60* and get the x20 60* which they do aswell!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I believe it is for 2 reasons and you can pick your own order of preference.

1, Marketing,you think they hit it further.

2. It makes the game a bit easier.

I know what I think!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had this issue with my DI7s. All of the lofts were stronger but as a total beginner when I bought them I thought I was hitting the ball further (how much of a mug was I). Was quite annoyed when I found that they sold the club to 'complete' my set. Sadly it is now the norm that sets are made with a stronger loft and an additional gap wedge available at an extra cost.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most manufacturers are doing this.

My TM R7's PW is 45deg and SW is 55deg.

I ordered the GW when buying my set it was about £55 also.

I was told that it would be £55 only when bought with the set otherwise it would be £75.

Not sure if this is true or if AG were at it!!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have ordered mine from AG as that is where i bought my clubs and he told me all club costs the same. The price is worked out by the total value of the irons divided by the number of irons in the set!

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not on topic but the Wilson Staff DI7 Irons are the worst clubs for cheating on lofts they are about a club and a half too strong! WHAT A RIP OFF!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You would think!!

It's like shaft flexes tho, Callaway stiff will be nothing like Titleist stiff. Whether it be weight or playing characteristics/flex points etc.

For example,back in the day had a pal who used a Great Big Bertha 8.5 x-stiff and hit it miles high. He put a Grafalloy stiff in it and couldnt get it in the air.

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
every brand must have different standards for flex,like lofts and lies you think there would be a industry standard to make it easier for normal golfers,as i had a problem with aldila and diamana shafts both playing softer than there flex that got me head scratching

DCB

Visit site
In the mid 1990s I bought my first fitted set of Irons, Tommy Armour 855s. They were very easy to play with and worked very well for me. When I ordered the set after the fitting, I was asked if I wanted the extra wedge (Approach Wedge in those days) being a canny scot I declined the offer.

About two years later I was in a sports shop in North Berwick, Afflecks, and was having a rummage through their golf equipment when I came across several Armour 855 Approach Wedges. Obviously the model had been superceeded and these were ols stock being sold off. I bought one of these and when having a wee try of it in the back garden later that day noticed that the serial number on the hosel was very close to my own set. I pulled the bag out the garage and checked, same serial number. By chance I had managed to get the 'missing' wedge from my set 2 years after it had originally been ordered. Still got the set in the back of the garage somewhere.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Flex in shafts i can understand being different but lofts is something that all manufacturers can get right everytime with no effort.

How long will it be before we are hitting 40* pw's and companys claiming they have the longest clubs by far!

Just like a car sales man selling you a 2.0 and saying this is the fastest 1.4 on the market.

Wrong badge on the clubs!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I totally agree,there should be a standard set of lofts for irons.

I deliberately had my irons set up with "traditional" lofts as were found in the PGA manual years ago (they might still be). It gives me the right gap between all my clubs and mens I have to hit fewer manufactured shots.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didnt actually know the lofts of my irons untill i checked the callaway website.

When I went to speak to the guys in AG about filling the gap, they told me i needed a 52 because my pw was 48 and sw 56.

Good job i didnt listen to them, and that was the manager!

I am somewhat reserved about dealing with AG now and only for the fact the 50* gap wedge is exactly the same as all the other x20's in my bag I decided to buy 'off the shelf' otherwise I shall now be fitted for anything else that goes in the bag!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tony it is hard when reality bites.

Dont think too badly of them,they have targets to meet and a lot of product to get to grips with. Remember we are enthusiasts but they are probably just doing a job,it doesnt make them bad people.

These guys are under a fair bit of pressure to make numbers and will be pushed to sell particular brands when they are given incentives by the manufacturer/head office.