Callaway Mavrik Irons - there really is something mavrik

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
You’re suggesting that the peak height of a 41 degree wedge when presented with the same impact conditions (dynamic loft relative to the static lofts) of a 45 degree wedge will be the same? Got some data on that, because this would go a long way to change my mind.
Just my own experience. I really wouldn't want my pitching wedge, or the other clubs to go any higher. Been hitting 7 irons at the range this evening & they were launching really quite high but going as far as a regular 6 iron. It's the weigh concentrated in the sole. Not for everyone but really helpful when you're losing distance.

D

Deleted member 1147

You’re suggesting that the peak height of a 41 degree wedge when presented with the same impact conditions (dynamic loft relative to the static lofts) of a 45 degree wedge will be the same? Got some data on that, because this would go a long way to change my mind.
I’ve heard many times on the golf that one of trackmans biggest lessons has been that many players hit all their clubs about the same height.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Someone who has 5 wedges; out of interest, how far do you hit your 7 and 9 irons?

Just to answer this question. I have 5 wedges. Not by choice however I found that was what I needed to suit my gapping. I have P790 irons 4-PW.

7 iron goes around 170-175 yards
9 iron -150 yards
PW which I believe is 45 goes 140
Then I have a 47 degree which goes 130, 50 goes 120, 54 goes 110 and a 58 that goes 100.

Like I say it wasn’t by choice. When I originally bought the P790s I only got 4-9 as I thought the 4 wedges I had was sufficient but the gap between the 47 and the 9 iron was too big at 20 yards.

I agree that the lofts are jacked but who am I to argue. If I can hit a 9 150 yards and get it to stop quickly it’s fine by me.

Springveldt

Visit site
I’ve heard many times on the golf that one of trackmans biggest lessons has been that many players hit all their clubs about the same height.
Good players do, I think poorer players struggle to get a "players iron" 21° in the air but a hybrid or GI iron with a bit of offset and the weight way back helps them.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve recommended these to a Callaway fan friend of mine. I think the driver and irons will do his game a world of good. He has some 6 year+ old Callaway clubs now.

I have read up a lot on these clubs and they seem to be perfect for someone like him.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well I tried the Callaway Apex and the Standard Mavrik 7 iron out today at the range. The Apex 7 iron has a loft of 30.5 compared to the Mavrik Standard at 27 degrees. Strangely the Apex with the weaker loft was going further than the Mavrik. The Apex had a lovely towering high flight, but didn't stall or balloon.
The Mavrik has a thicker top line with more offset compared to my Cleveland CG16 irons.
The Apex is a lovely iron, my only concern is how much less offset and thinner top line it has compared to mine. In terms of confidence mine inspire more at address, but hitting it felt lovely.
My club handicapp is 16, but I've hit a bit of form and come down to 13 in our winter league. My only concern is whether these irons are out of league.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Well I tried the Callaway Apex and the Standard Mavrik 7 iron out today at the range. The Apex 7 iron has a loft of 30.5 compared to the Mavrik Standard at 27 degrees. Strangely the Apex with the weaker loft was going further than the Mavrik. The Apex had a lovely towering high flight, but didn't stall or balloon.
The Mavrik has a thicker top line with more offset compared to my Cleveland CG16 irons.
The Apex is a lovely iron, my only concern is how much less offset and thinner top line it has compared to mine. In terms of confidence mine inspire more at address, but hitting it felt lovely.
My club handicapp is 16, but I've hit a bit of form and come down to 13 in our winter league. My only concern is whether these irons are out of league.

They're not.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Throwing their toys about :ROFLMAO: behave
Does it matter ?

What difference does the number on the bottom make ?

Hit the club - judge the distance it goes and then use that

We can have 14 clubs - find the ones that give someone the yardages and gaps they want irrelevent of what number is on the bottom - as long as you know how far you hit each club - that’s all that matters

Far too many people throwing their toys about because of strong lofts - if you don’t like the strong lofts don’t get those clubs

Preference about number stamping is a cosmetics issue, and nobody complains about people having cosmetic preferences.

Obviously, modern, high-tech irons have to be lofted according to their design metrics.

Nobody wants the lofts themselves changed on modern clubs.

That doesn't mean that they can't be stamped with original club number / loft correlation protocols.

When one's clubs are worn out or technically obsolete, one looks into new ones.
I eventually had to replace my Titleist DCI 962s, even though they were excellent irons.
When I bought them, I felt that the club number / loft correlations on them were one club strong.
New Titleist irons have club number / loft correlations two clubs stronger than the DCI 962s.

Not finding this ridiculous is incredible to me.
Yet others don't think stamping matters as long as one knows how far one hits each club.

I, for one, would pay extra for custom stamping were it available.
Most players would not.