Callaway Mavrik Irons - there really is something mavrik

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
At the end of the day does it really matter ? As long as you know the distance of each club and if there are any gaps you fill them

It’s all down to manufacturers using materials to hell forgiveness but it also introduces high launch angle and spin etc so to combat it they bring the lofts down - we all know that a lo.t of the GI clubs have stronger lofts and if it helps people play better then great

There are always sets out there with traditional lofts

I’m someone who doesn’t launch the ball very high at all so my whole game is a low ball flight but it’s possible that over the next year or so ill look at clubs to help me get the ball a touch higher and maybe a little longer which forgiveness
I don't really care about it, but as I wrote, I do find it amusing. Thanks for taking the time to tell me how much it doesn't matter though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's become a well trodden path in the last few years as lofts get cranked. The biggest issue I see is at the bottom of the bag with such a strong PW meaning there is going to be a massive gap from that to a SW and that it is possible that even one GW is not going to suffice anymore

chasf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have the rogue x irons and my set goes 6,7,8,9,pw,aw,gw,sw,lw.

So I had to put an extra wedge in. Love the irons so easy to hit,feel great and launch nice and high and stop quick on greens.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have the rogue x irons and my set goes 6,7,8,9,pw,aw,gw,sw,lw.

So I had to put an extra wedge in. Love the irons so easy to hit,feel great and launch nice and high and stop quick on greens.
You could argue that with AW and GW you added two extra wedges to a standard set up and this is exactly the point I'm making that it will become more and more necessary to fill the gap between a 40 something PW and a standard SW at 56 or 58

D

Deleted member 1147

Rather than adding multiple wedges why not learn to hit 2 or 3 clubs a variety of distances.
Having 5 wedges just seems daft.
What are the gaps between each wedge?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It seems to me that they've named them the wrong way round which will cause confusion for customers, very surprised.

The lofts and other specs for each model is published and readily available, right?
Customers who don't do at least that much research will probably not be interested in a few degrees of loft.

When was the last time you bought a set of irons without reading the specs?
If you opt for custom lengths and lie angles, you MUST know the specs before you can request the desired deviation from them.

In my case, I'm not going to like the lofts in any case because the club number / loft correlation won't be compliant with 1955 standards and protocols!

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Rather than adding multiple wedges why not learn to hit 2 or 3 clubs a variety of distances.

How can I not have five wedges when my W1 is supposed to be stamped 8 and my W2 is supposed to be stamped 9?
I have a 43º pitching wedge, a 48º first gap wedge, and a 53º second gap wedge. These are not supplemental clubs. These are part of the base set complementing the numbered irons which are also ludicrously strong-lofted. The first iron is stamped "4" and that' s my 20º driving iron which should be stamped "2." That's where club number / loft correlations are today.

So that's purportedly three wedges where only one, the 53, is really wedge-lofted. Nothing under 50º was ever stamped as a wedge when I took up golf.
I still need a low bounce 58º finesse wedge.
I still need an oval-faced sand iron to escape greenside bunkers.
And by today's standards, that comes to FIVE wedges.
Insane? Of course. But that's where it's at.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Let's not pretend it's anything other than jacked up lofts adding the extra distance. All this they d go to high otherwise is just total BS.

And who said I don't like them?, I'm just pointing out its a 9 iron and not a wedge
Not just. My jacked 7 iron, same length & loft as my old 6 iron, goes farther because of the thinner face & the way it is weighted.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Trouble is that unless your ball striking is decent you've not a huge choice if you dont want to go down the strong loft route.
Most "traditional " - as in the last 10 years - 7 iron lofts of 34° are the domain of the "Players " irons

D

Deleted member 1147

How can I not have five wedges when my W1 is supposed to be stamped 8 and my W2 is supposed to be stamped 9?
I have a 43º pitching wedge, a 48º first gap wedge, and a 53º second gap wedge. These are not supplemental clubs. These are part of the base set complementing the numbered irons which are also ludicrously strong-lofted. The first iron is stamped "4" and that' s my 20º driving iron which should be stamped "2." That's where club number / loft correlations are today.

So that's purportedly three wedges where only one, the 53, is really wedge-lofted. Nothing under 50º was ever stamped as a wedge when I took up golf.
I still need a low bounce 58º finesse wedge.
I still need an oval-faced sand iron to escape greenside bunkers.
And by today's standards, that comes to FIVE wedges.
Insane? Of course. But that's where it's at.
My 58 is both my lob and sand wedges. Don’t need 2 separate clubs for that.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Let's not pretend it's anything other than jacked up lofts adding the extra distance.

Playing the jacked lofts is very much like playing one's flugelhorn from piano music.
You have to transpose in your head.
If a "4" is stamped on the sole, that's a 2-iron.
If a "7" is stamped on the sole, that's a 5-iron.
If "PW" is tamped on the sole, that's an 8-iron.

I don't dislike the new technology either.
But the vanity club number / loft correlations offend my intelligence.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
because then we wouldn’t have a “9 iron”

Just ignore the fact they are “wedges” and focus on covering all the distances needed with full, 3/4 and half swings.

D

Deleted member 1147

Someone who has 5 wedges; out of interest, how far do you hit your 7 and 9 irons?

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not at all. The lower loft results from how easy the clubs are to launch. The 41 degree is likely to go as high as a standard pitching wedge, but farther. This means you probably need a gap wedge in this kind of set but you then have the option of dropping the 4 iron since the 5 iron will go as far & as high as a standard 4 iron.

You’re suggesting that the peak height of a 41 degree wedge when presented with the same impact conditions (dynamic loft relative to the static lofts) of a 45 degree wedge will be the same? Got some data on that, because this would go a long way to change my mind.