Callaway Mavrik Irons - there really is something mavrik

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So, Callaway have just launched their new Mavrik Irons in 3 models. Standard, Max and Pro. However the lofts are STRONGER on the Standard compared to the Max. The Standard 7 iron loft comes in at 27 degrees, but in the Max its 30 degrees ! Pitching Wedge Standard is 41 degrees compared to Max at 43 degrees.
The lofts on the Max are in fact very similar to the Pro version - ridiculous.
It seems to me that they've named them the wrong way round which will cause confusion for customers, very surprised.

D

Deleted member 1147

What does Max represent?
Is it head size, rather than distance related?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Max to me sounds like maximum forgiveness.
Some times too little loft will result in a loss of distance if you don’t have the speed to launch them. I’d imagine it is a combination of loft and forgiveness making them the max version.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember when they started bringing out 45 degree PWs and the comments about that. I’d need at least 4 wedges in my bag with and including a 41 degree PW.

What’s the 3 iron and 4 iron loft? Anyone know?

Doesn't matter as we are sold hybrids instead, at £200 each.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
A 41 degree PW. Golfers must be absolute suckers.
Not at all. The lower loft results from how easy the clubs are to launch. The 41 degree is likely to go as high as a standard pitching wedge, but farther. This means you probably need a gap wedge in this kind of set but you then have the option of dropping the 4 iron since the 5 iron will go as far & as high as a standard 4 iron.

You could name the clubs according to their loft but the manufacturers know that potential buyers would say "I can't hit a 4 iron so I won't have one in the set" Call it a 5 iron & they're happy. My current set have strong lofts but then my current 7 iron goes 10 to 15 yards farther than my old 6 iron &, at the bottom end, that makes a difference. As long as you know how far you hit each one does it matter?

D

Deleted member 15344

It's a 9 iron .....

Does it matter ?

What difference does the number on the bottom make ?

Hit the club - judge the distance it goes and then use that

We can have 14 clubs - find the ones that give someone the yardages and gaps they want irrelevent of what number is on the bottom - as long as you know how far you hit each club - that’s all that matters

Far too many people throwing their toys about because of strong lofts - if you don’t like the strong lofts don’t get those clubs

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Does it matter ?

We can have 14 clubs - find the ones that give someone the yardages and gaps they want irrelevent of what number is on the bottom - as long as you know how far you hit each club - that’s all that matters

Far too many people throwing their toys about because of strong lofts - if you don’t like the strong lofts don’t get those clubs
I don't throw my toys out of the pram, but I do find it amusing when the manufacturers/shop sales staff talk about how far the newest 7 iron goes compared to your old one. They're comparing apples and oranges really.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
They're probably called the "Standard" model as this is the set that most golfers will buy as we're all obsessed with distance these days.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't throw my toys out of the pram, but I do find it amusing when the manufacturers/shop sales staff talk about how far the newest 7 iron goes compared to your old one. They're comparing apples and oranges really.

At the end of the day does it really matter ? As long as you know the distance of each club and if there are any gaps you fill them

It’s all down to manufacturers using materials to hell forgiveness but it also introduces high launch angle and spin etc so to combat it they bring the lofts down - we all know that a lot of the GI clubs have stronger lofts and if it helps people play better then great

There are always sets out there with traditional lofts

I’m someone who doesn’t launch the ball very high at all so my whole game is a low ball flight but it’s possible that over the next year or so ill look at clubs to help me get the ball a touch higher and maybe a little longer which forgiveness

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
And if you watch the pros hitting their standard shots their apex height with all their irons is the same - because they can hit them properly.
Launch angles and trajectories are as much about weighting and spin as loft

D

Deleted member 1147

So, Callaway have just launched their new Mavrik Irons in 3 models. Standard, Max and Pro. However the lofts are STRONGER on the Standard compared to the Max. The Standard 7 iron loft comes in at 27 degrees, but in the Max its 30 degrees ! Pitching Wedge Standard is 41 degrees compared to Max at 43 degrees.
The lofts on the Max are in fact very similar to the Pro version - ridiculous.
It seems to me that they've named them the wrong way round which will cause confusion for customers, very surprised.
The max does have a bigger head with more offset

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Does it matter ?

Let's not pretend it's anything other than jacked up lofts adding the extra distance. All this they d go to high otherwise is just total BS.

And who said I don't like them?, I'm just pointing out its a 9 iron and not a wedge

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day does it really matter ? As long as you know the distance of each club and if there are any gaps you fill them
I would say it's down to us, the consumer. If M&S sold underwear that they said would give us an extra 2 inches, they would sell out.
It's about the consumers vanity, and boy don't they work on it.