Callaway Epic - Does it merit all the hype..... OH YES!!!

Jim6767

Hacker
Visit site
How was the dispersion figure in comparison?

The worst dispersion of the 3 by far was the new Ping G, followed by the Epic. The best was the G10 but not by much.... Distance is obviously not everything so I need to be sure I can dial the new Epic in before I pull the plug on over £400!!! :eek:

I'm gaming it over 18 holes tomorrow so we will see what is like on an actual golf course.

Report to follow....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This will actually depend on what driver it is up against.

Mark Crossfield did a test against his old Nike driver might have been a victory red[don't quote me] and in his dry test he was 10 yards longer,however out on the course it was 16 or 17 on 1 drive but well over 10 on others.

I was thinking that a 16 yard gain over Ping G (if fitted correctly) would be very surprising.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried my pp (off 1hc) M1 yesterday on the course 45 or 6 inches long with Project X 6.5 against my Wishon 919 44" shaft which cost £18, hit both with similar ball flight and so did my pp hit both and again similar flights, when we got up to the balls there was about a 5 yard radius between all 4 balls, in fact I hit my ball further then the M1.
Think I'll keep my money in the bank.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dod you not try the Ping G LS Tec? With your spin numbers on the G it looks like the LS Tec head would be more suitable and probably go further by reducing the spin.

Would be interesting to see the LS Tec vs the Sub Zero from Callaway.

When I got fitted I went for the LS Tec was going the same spin rates as yourself all be it not as many yards but was gaining a fair bit on my old g20 driver

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No, only tried the Fujikura Pro Green 62 in X flex and from what my pro recommended and what you guys on the forum have mentioned the 1890 RPM spin I was getting was about right. Do any of you think trying a different shaft would gain me (I can't believe I am going to say this) even more than 16 extra yards carry over my old G10?

If spending £400 at the high end of swingspeeds to try 1 X flex shaft and buy would be madness imho. Get a proper fitting and find the shaft that works best for you, gets you the best ball flight, control and finally (imo) distance. I would definitely want to be trying different weight shafts and see the impact they have. One things for sure, its very very unlikely your G10 is optimal for you and a proper fitting will ensure what you buy will be

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Im always skeptical when people get x more yards with a new driver. I think distance has been maxed out for a while and if even the worlds best pro's pick up a yard or two every new release then im not sure how amateurs get 16 or 20 yards every few years. Shafts are the big difference, not heads.

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
I went for a fitting a couple of weeks ago - see vid below. With the Sub Zero picked up around 2mph ball speed/5-6 yards distance over current driver PING G LS tec (which was fitted in Jan 2016 and I have been hitting well) and also hit the Sub Zero super straight.

I'm off to the US tomorrow for the PGA show and taking the SZ with me to try on course. Be interesting to see how it goes in the real world and if it makes it into my bag full time

I'd say if you're interested you MUST get custom fitted to get the most out of it as it has so much adjustability and a wide variety of shaft options.

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/videos/gear-video/callaway-great-big-bertha-epic-driver-fitting

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I went for a fitting a couple of weeks ago - see vid below. With the Sub Zero picked up around 2mph ball speed/5-6 yards distance over current driver PING G LS tec (which was fitted in Jan 2016 and I have been hitting well) and also hit the Sub Zero super straight.

I'm off to the US tomorrow for the PGA show and taking the SZ with me to try on course. Be interesting to see how it goes in the real world and if it makes it into my bag full time

I'd say if you're interested you MUST get custom fitted to get the most out of it as it has so much adjustability and a wide variety of shaft options.

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/videos/gear-video/callaway-great-big-bertha-epic-driver-fitting

Oh go on then - if I must....

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
A playing partner has just picked one up, a Sub Zero. He's picked up 40yrds compared to his 915. His descent angle was 11* less and dropped 1400rpm of backspin.
I had a few swings but just couldn't get along with it. Its a bloody fugly looking thing. The pro was raving about it. (he is a Callaway staff man so..callaway fan boy)

golfcitydweller

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
good that you have found something better but i think the stats up on the board are maybe a bit misleading , shows a higher than ideal launch which may suggest steep angle of attack which then gives higher spin rate . if you put up all the stats , swing path , angle of attack etc ..positive swing path produces lower spin as does positive angle of attack ..303 carry , tour carry distances!...

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Picked up 40 yards over a 2 year old driver??
Im only quoting what I saw, he was nutting both clubs.
Off the shelf as opposed to fitted..?
915 was fitted on launch when new. Over 2 years ago
40 yards. Even Taylormade (I know this is a Callaway driver) have never made those claims.
No they have not. But it shows that fitting is key. I would imagine he has max'd out his distance now. His numbers where about as good as you'd want.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Fugly is an interesting concept. For me, the TM M series are not lookers. The Ping G series have odd lumps and bumps, like a disease. The best looker was the Titleist 909 series. They just sat beautifully. Everything a driver should be.
I dont object to the Apex, there are far uglier big sticks out there, some of which look like a third form metal work project.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
good that you have found something better but i think the stats up on the board are maybe a bit misleading , shows a higher than ideal launch which may suggest steep angle of attack which then gives higher spin rate . if you put up all the stats , swing path , angle of attack etc ..positive swing path produces lower spin as does positive angle of attack ..303 carry , tour carry distances!...

The flightscope trajectory thingymajig suggests that a 175mph ball speed is need to carry 303 with that launch and spin, so just shy of 120mph club speed. Impressive but not unbelievable for someone with a good enough game to get to a +1hc.

But I don't understand how a high launch angle can suggest a steep angle of attack?