Callaway Apex 24 irons

D

Deleted member 15344

They're the same as the other irons so they're irons. If I gave you a ham sandwich and called it a burger would you agree? Or would you say 'no - that's a ham sandwich'.
You do know that wedges can be the same as other irons but with different lofts

Hence why it’s called a “Pitching Wedge”

It’s the same with the sets that have matching wedges all the way to lob wedge

A wedge is a high lofted short iron

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You do know that wedges can be the same as other irons but with different lofts

Hence why it’s called a “Pitching Wedge”

It’s the same with the sets that have matching wedges all the way to lob wedge

A wedge is a high lofted short iron
Sure, we'll have another dumb argument if you like, I'm not too busy.

I think of wedges as the standalone kind - in my bag for example I have two CBX Zipcores - those are wedges. My PW came with the irons, is exactly the same as the irons, and is 41°. What makes it a wedge other than the name? It is basically a ten iron.

None of this affects anything, but if someone asked me how many wedges I had in the bag I'd say three. I wouldn't say five just because manufacturers have decided to strengthen the clubs to the point that an old 8 iron is now a "wedge". Otherwise in another 25 years I'll have seven wedges in the bag.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sure, we'll have another dumb argument if you like, I'm not too busy.

I think of wedges as the standalone kind - in my bag for example I have two CBX Zipcores - those are wedges. My PW came with the irons, is exactly the same as the irons, and is 41°. What makes it a wedge other than the name? It is basically a ten iron.

None of this affects anything, but if someone asked me how many wedges I had in the bag I'd say three. I wouldn't say five just because manufacturers have decided to strengthen the clubs to the point that an old 8 iron is now a "wedge". Otherwise in another 25 years I'll have seven wedges in the bag.

It’s a wedge because it’s called a wedge and has the characteristics of a wedge - a “high lofted short iron”

Hence why it’s called a “pitching wedge” -

The lofts are irrelevant.

If someone asked me

I would say 4 wedges

A pitching wedge
Gap wedge
Sand wedge
Lob wedge

If the sets pitching wedge was called a 10iron then it would be a ten iron

The OEMs actually put the name of the club on it to help you out

So the name is called pitching wedge , it has all the characteristics of a pitching wedge

And the final part I’m not sure why when anyone ever challenges someone’s point or looks for clarification on a point its a “dumb argument”

You have a very strange belief at times when it comes to golf and many times ventures from the norm hence why people question it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Why don't you two stop trying to convince the other they're wrong and just each other hold your own beliefs?
This thread is supposed to be about some of the nicest looking irons released by Callaway for quite some time.
And please don't anyone tell me they're not thr nicest looking. They are in my opinion and my opinion is my own.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s a wedge because it’s called a wedge and has the characteristics of a wedge - a “high lofted short iron”

Hence why it’s called a “pitching wedge” -

The lofts are irrelevant.

If someone asked me

I would say 4 wedges

A pitching wedge
Gap wedge
Sand wedge
Lob wedge

If the sets pitching wedge was called a 10iron then it would be a ten iron

The OEMs actually put the name of the club on it to help you out

So the name is called pitching wedge , it has all the characteristics of a pitching wedge

And the final part I’m not sure why when anyone ever challenges someone’s point or looks for clarification on a point its a “dumb argument”

You have a very strange belief at times when it comes to golf and many times ventures from the norm hence why people question it.
As I said earlier - is a urinal cake made of cake? Are sweetbreads made of bread? Plenty of items in the world are inappropriately named.

It's a dumb argument because you are literally trying to dictate my own thoughts to me, which is quite something even for you. :LOL:

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Why don't you two stop trying to convince the other they're wrong and just each other hold your own beliefs?
This thread is supposed to be about some of the nicest looking irons released by Callaway for quite some time.
And please don't anyone tell me they're not thr nicest looking. They are in my opinion and my opinion is my own.
mate, you're wrong and i am offended

🤣

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I was really hoping the last sentence would read;

“They are in my opinion and my opinion is right”

D

Deleted member 1147

I was really hoping the last sentence would read;

“They are in my opinion and my opinion is right”
How could it read that? His opinion is wrong.

Saying that, the pitching and gap irons are nice 😁

Pin-seeker

Visit site
They do look nice,but no way could I spend £1300 on some irons that won’t be any better than the previous models.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
It was called a "wedge" because it had a thicker sole than the rest of the irons and this was descriptive of its shape.

It came into being in the 1930s when the names of clubs had only recently given way to numbers.
The first numbered sets were usually 2-8 where the 8 had replaced the niblick as the most lofted club.
Many manufacturers included a new putter with any new set of irons and the putter would be given the number 9.

By the 1970s the convention was usually 3-9, PW, SW as a set, but there were variations.

"Wedge" is no longer used only for clubs that have a wedge shape since some sets have all the irons with thick soles.
Any club more lofted than a 9-iron is today given the name "wedge".

Some manufacturers have shunned the use of a number 10 and since lofts have become stronger and stronger and many players have shied away from buying irons that have a number 2, 3 or 4 stamped on the sole, there has become a need to go back to names for clubs in the more lofted end of the range.

If you were to purchase a lovely set of irons from the 1960s or 70s you might find that you have a 9-iron of 46°, a PW of 50° to 52° and a SW of 56° to 58°.

I own a 2-10 set from the early 1960s where the 9-iron is 49° and the 10-iron is 54°. One true "wedge" of 58° makes a nice addition to the set.

Many players today are using a 5-iron that is the same loft as, or stronger loft than, a 3-iron from the time when there was no need for more than 2 "named" wedges, but they might have 4 wedges in their bag today.

Plus ça change....

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was called a "wedge" because it had a thicker sole than the rest of the irons and this was descriptive of its shape.

It came into being in the 1930s when the names of clubs had only recently given way to numbers.
The first numbered sets were usually 2-8 where the 8 had replaced the niblick as the most lofted club.
Many manufacturers included a new putter with any new set of irons and the putter would be given the number 9.

By the 1970s the convention was usually 3-9, PW, SW as a set, but there were variations.

"Wedge" is no longer used only for clubs that have a wedge shape since some sets have all the irons with thick soles.
Any club more lofted than a 9-iron is today given the name "wedge".

Some manufacturers have shunned the use of a number 10 and since lofts have become stronger and stronger and many players have shied away from buying irons that have a number 2, 3 or 4 stamped on the sole, there has become a need to go back to names for clubs in the more lofted end of the range.

If you were to purchase a lovely set of irons from the 1960s or 70s you might find that you have a 9-iron of 46°, a PW of 50° to 52° and a SW of 56° to 58°.

I own a 2-10 set from the early 1960s where the 9-iron is 49° and the 10-iron is 54°. One true "wedge" of 58° makes a nice addition to the set.

Many players today are using a 5-iron that is the same loft as, or stronger loft than, a 3-iron from the time when there was no need for more than 2 "named" wedges, but they might have 4 wedges in their bag today.

Plus ca change....
Nice post .
a little history to enlighten us.

D

Deleted member 1147

I’m becoming a fan of the description on the club sole.
So from 165 I’ll use my chip and run iron
From 200 I’ll use my keeping it low out of the trees iron
To get over a bunker/hazard I’ll use my parachute iron

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So it’s an 8 that identifies as a wedge or 10 iron?

I’m losing the will with todays society……….
Is it self identifying, or having that identity imposed upon it ?

A pitching wedge is a club with 48deg. Anything else is club dysmorphia.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Is it self identifying, or having that identity imposed upon it ?

A pitching wedge is a club with 48deg. Anything else is club dysmorphia.
48° is a deviant iron. If anyone wants one, fine, your choice, but

9-iron 46°
PW 50° - 52°
SW 56° - 58°

Lofts of modern clubs are great, they merely have the wrong numbers on the soles. :geek: