Buying Golf Clubs

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Been thinking for a while about getting some new irons. Not sure I want to pay full whack and get fitted etc.
Seen some online deals but obviously can't try before I buy. AG don't seem to stock the clubs I've been looking at so for the guys that buy the bargains online, do you just buy them and make them work? Or do you go to AG or wherever and try the clubs then wait for them to reduce in price?
Not a member anywhere but even the most pros have limited stock.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s a big ask, you could go through a fitting at a separate charge and then find something that fits.
Some on here have complained about their AG fittings. I personally haven’t had any issues. I have tried out Ping clubs got my specs lie and shaft and then bought that spec in the previous model saving 50% ..
But it might be just worth deciding what you want and then saving up and getting it and getting fit for you.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s a big ask, you could go through a fitting at a separate charge and then find something that fits.
Some on here have complained about their AG fittings. I personally haven’t had any issues. I have tried out Ping clubs got my specs lie and shaft and then bought that spec in the previous model saving 50% ..
But it might be just worth deciding what you want and then saving up and getting it and getting fit for you.
Cheers. The separate fitting is something I was considering. Just walking at spending money up front for something like that.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been thinking for a while about getting some new irons. Not sure I want to pay full whack and get fitted etc.
Seen some online deals but obviously can't try before I buy. AG don't seem to stock the clubs I've been looking at so for the guys that buy the bargains online, do you just buy them and make them work? Or do you go to AG or wherever and try the clubs then wait for them to reduce in price?
What kind are you interested in ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mixture of everything for me. I will go somewhere like AG and try a few of the newer models (usually in an R flex as that is my usual default). Depending on budget and whether it is a make or model I truly want in which case I'd then consider buying new and via a custom fit. If I fancy a change and money is tight I'll trawl somewhere like Golfbidder and buy 2nd hand as I've just done with the G400 hybrids and a Ping wedge I got a month or so ago. They have a picture of each item and a reasonable description so you see what you're getting and they offer a 7 day return policy so can try and then send back (not that I've made use of that).

I have bought via my old club pro before, but he's now left and I didn't really think his replacement offered anything too competitive in terms of pricing. He's also left and we've a new guy in (only been in place a month or so) and he's Callaway sponsored so clearly that will be his main brand but interested to see what else he'll be stocking. Again, it would depend on make, model, price and what sort of fitting service he'd offer

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

have you had a fitting before and have an idea of what spec suits you best? if so then crack on and find the best price you can on the evilbay etc if price is important. if not then id try and get a better idea before doing so, whether you find a range/club that you can borrow some demo clubs or whether a local club/range/ag has manufacturer demo days etc where you can have a quick and dirty fitting to give you a better idea at least

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
What kind are you interested in ?
Was looking at Wilson Staff or Cobra as you do get some good deals but AG don't stock the ones I've seen. However, if it's a case of getting a fitting then buying a previous model online with the same specs was thinking going TM.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Mixture of everything for me. I will go somewhere like AG and try a few of the newer models (usually in an R flex as that is my usual default). Depending on budget and whether it is a make or model I truly want in which case I'd then consider buying new and via a custom fit. If I fancy a change and money is tight I'll trawl somewhere like Golfbidder and buy 2nd hand as I've just done with the G400 hybrids and a Ping wedge I got a month or so ago. They have a picture of each item and a reasonable description so you see what you're getting and they offer a 7 day return policy so can try and then send back (not that I've made use of that).

I have bought via my old club pro before, but he's now left and I didn't really think his replacement offered anything too competitive in terms of pricing. He's also left and we've a new guy in (only been in place a month or so) and he's Callaway sponsored so clearly that will be his main brand but interested to see what else he'll be stocking. Again, it would depend on make, model, price and what sort of fitting service he'd offer
Good advice about golf bidder return policy. Was thinking of just buying off the bay but you still have the same issue of it might not suit.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
have you had a fitting before and have an idea of what spec suits you best? if so then crack on and find the best price you can on the evilbay etc if price is important. if not then id try and get a better idea before doing so, whether you find a range/club that you can borrow some demo clubs or whether a local club/range/ag has manufacturer demo days etc where you can have a quick and dirty fitting to give you a better idea at least

Got 'fitted' for my current irons about 9 years ago. It was very low tech and everything came up normal so ended up just buying off the shelf anyway. Think things have moved on markedly in the fitting game since though, so I have no idea of spin rates and smash factors etc.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Got 'fitted' for my current irons about 9 years ago. It was very low tech and everything came up normal so ended up just buying off the shelf anyway. Think things have moved on markedly in the fitting game since though, so I have no idea of spin rates and smash factors etc.

if it was me Id look to get some sort of fitting that your budget allows, at least go to a few demo days and get a slot for half hour with the fitter and see what sort of specs they put you into and learn what will and wont suit you then go from there if you dont want a full fitting and to pay for a full new set

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
if it was me Id look to get some sort of fitting that your budget allows, at least go to a few demo days and get a slot for half hour with the fitter and see what sort of specs they put you into and learn what will and wont suit you then go from there if you dont want a full fitting and to pay for a full new set
Good shout about demo days but they are usually on when there are new models out so I imagine that'll be Spring time. A lot need a slot to be booked, know a few that charge (refunded if you make a purchase) and not always the widest range of shaft options and some will get you to go to their main fitting centre if you want other options. Definitely worth considering as they usually come with Trackman or similar

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
What makes you want to buy a full set or individual club?
In what respect. I have just bought two individual hybrids (4 and 5) with the plan to replace the respective irons which I consider I am inconsistent with and hope the hybrids will improve on. I have bought new sets on whims before (or when I've had a few bob to splash) and also when I've had sets for a number of years and want to upgrade to a newer set with more technology and arguably more responsive shafts

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

I think it depends on what you are using and how standard or otherwise these are.

I use off the shelf TM Burner Plus irons (Cavity backs) and in all likelihood I would be massively surprised if a fitting was to improve anything significantly for me. All it would do it kind of paint me into a corner of buying something current model... so unless I was prepared to spend anything from £700 to £1,200+... there would be no point even going to a fitting.

Ultimately I got my clubs about 6 years ago, my game has probably changed a fair bit since then but having had very decent rounds with other 'standard' irons in the past year or two, I'm well aware that the tools are not as big a factor as some think they are.

Try before you buy is a bit different though and obviously some bigger shops with ranges will allow this - especially with pre-owned stuff which ultimately is where the value is to be had.