Buy now, wait, or further advice ?

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Getting sustained subtle nagging for a couple of weeks now for equipment purchase from my son and trying to decide whether it is justified and the right way to go forwards.

He has been getting a lot of fliers with his irons where they travel an extra 20 yards further than normal and these are not due to pulls/overdraws.

He is a bit of a gorilla as he carries a 4 iron 220+ and smashes them in all directions when it goes wrong but he clearly feels that he is not confident hitting into greens and I have seen him over hit a few times.

I thought weak shafts usually meant you hit them left, but can they also lead to such variability on distance control ?

As background in February he was fitted for a new driver shaft at a proper fitter and ended up with an extra stiff shaft and at the same time we took a look at his irons as I do try and ensure within reason he has the right kit for his development.

The heavier stiffer shafts clearly reduced dispersion and brought the ball flight down and actually a slight reduction in distance if anything.

The current irons are stiff shafts and only 18 months old and the fitter said looking at the club wear (son plays or practices every day of the week all year) and trackman stats that they would be ok until the end of the summer when he thought that wear and swing would justify a new set (pretty sure he realises I am not minted).

I would probably use club pro shop for new irons when I decide to go that route as we both have money on our accounts and this way it mitigates the cost and though not as good a fitting would save me a lot of cash.

I know if I discuss or look for advice from the club pro and cross that threshold then the purchase is almost done now rather than later as he is very retail minded.

Since then his swing speed has picked up further so maybe this adds to the issue.

So are these problems symptomatic of equipment not being right or am I being led into an early purchase ?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Your son sounds similar to me- I'm 6'4 and carry a 4 iron around 210-220 and I am always fitted for x stiff. Dispersion improved dramatically for me. I do however stick to a heavy stiff in my driver as I just prefer it (although I am going to try an x stiff to see soon). I would be looking into it but I like buying new clubs so may not be the best person to ask!

If the clubs he has are fairly new you could look at just changing the shafts but sometimes you find you may be better off just upgrading.

Another option is to pay for an independent fitter who doesn't sell the clubs. I went to Mizuno fitter at Gleneagles and because we knew I would not be buying I got his honest advice. At one point he told me to stick with what I had. It cost me £60 for the privilege however that was nothing compared to the possibility of buying the wrong thing or needlessly buying.

American Golf have stopped their double trade in offer but I recently traded in and got a very good deal which made it affordable (between price match and trade in I am doing a straight swap). Certainly worth looking at. While there is money in the shop it sounds like it would get spent anyway on essentials (balls etc) which you'll have to spend on later so if you get a better deal elsewhere I would be taking that.

What is his current bag set up? Handicap? What's his bad shot?

D

Deleted member 1147

I went for a proper fitting for woods recently at Titleist's National Fitting Centre at St Ives near Cambridge.
They have every concievable head and shaft combination and are very knowledgable about fitting as it's what they do all the time. Also, you use proper Pro V1's or 1X's depending on what you normally play. Rather than the scrubby balls the pro has left in his shagbag

The cost of the fitting and buying the clubs was all via my club's proshop. So, you could take him for a fitting by the experts and still use your pro shop credit.

I believe Ping and possibly TM also have fitting centres whereby you actually buy the clubs from your pro - they don't push you to buy from the fitters.

There are fitting centres all over the country, so could be worth looking at.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
He is 6ft 7in, plays off 3 and his bad shot is a big hook in the main.

Bag has following - all woods are custom shafts M1 (2016 - won the club) x-stiff , Callaway 3 wood stiff shaft , M1 (2016) hybrid which hooks horribly, Srixon Z745 irons, Cleveland wedges and a Taylormade spider putter (of some kind).

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I suppose the question is does the shot issue happen due to equipment or the idiot holding the stick ?

If I get an assessment/fit I know the answer will be that the new kit is better, but stopping the early purchase will be difficult.

Interesting input on the Titleist fitting centre and buy locally to use up shop credit as I was not aware of that sort of deal and he probably needs options that the club fitting bag does not have.

Though a Foremost outlet as most are these days he has limited lines but will have a chat on options for referral and buy to mitigate the damage if I give in.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
He is 6ft 7in, plays off 3 and his bad shot is a big hook in the main.

Bag has following - all woods are custom shafts M1 (2016 - won the club) x-stiff , Callaway 3 wood stiff shaft , M1 (2016) hybrid which hooks horribly, Srixon Z745 irons, Cleveland wedges and a Taylormade spider putter (of some kind).

For me I don't see any real issues other than the hybrid. Hybrids have weight in the toe to promote a draw. If you are already hitting around the ball it is of no use. I binned mine ages ago and am now getting rid of my 3 wood for the same reason. I'm going to bet that he hits the ball very high and it comes down soft? If so why not get a long iron? I've bought a 1 iron to replace the 3 wood. Maybe look at a 2 or 3 to get the number he needs.

I'd say that if the irons are in good condition I would keep them and change the shafts based on a recommendation from a fitter.

Does he hit his woods with an unmanagable draw as well as the irons?

Big lad, bet you spend a lot on weetabix!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a "tall hooker" I understand! Heavier shafts tend to work better for me and by the sounds of it hes going to want lower spin too! At his height Id think a fitting to ensure the right loft and lie will be critical and once that has been done ensuring they are the right swingweight for him. Anything but a decent fitting would be a false economy imo

BTW if hes hooking the M1 hybrid for fun, get him to change the 2 weights in the sole round (ie put the 25g weight in the toe) it was designed to be altered this way to be an "anti-left" club on all accounts

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For me I don't see any real issues other than the hybrid. Hybrids have weight in the toe to promote a draw. If you are already hitting around the ball it is of no use. I binned mine ages ago and am now getting rid of my 3 wood for the same reason. I'm going to bet that he hits the ball very high and it comes down soft? If so why not get a long iron? I've bought a 1 iron to replace the 3 wood. Maybe look at a 2 or 3 to get the number he needs.

I'd say that if the irons are in good condition I would keep them and change the shafts based on a recommendation from a fitter.

Does he hit his woods with an unmanagable draw as well as the irons?

Big lad, bet you spend a lot on weetabix!

Weight in the toe leads to the clubface closing slower and reducing draw (promoting a fade bias) not creating it

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing off 3 he is no idiot as far as golf go's. I would go for an independent fitting by someone who interested in finding the right equipment for your son. Then purchase from you pro using what you have in your account.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Weight in the toe leads to the clubface closing slower and reducing draw (promoting a fade bias) not creating it

Sorry, got that wrong way round. Either way they promote a draw which causes hooks if you have a high swing speed. Never coped with a hybrid!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry, got that wrong way round. Either way they promote a draw which causes hooks if you have a high swing speed. Never coped with a hybrid!

they actually dont. try hitting an M1 which already has a slightly open face with the heavy weight in the toe, if youre hitting hook with that its not the club its your swing (and that comes from someone who has been fighting destructive hooks for years!)

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
they actually dont. try hitting an M1 which already has a slightly open face with the heavy weight in the toe, if youre hitting hook with that its not the club its your swing (and that comes from someone who has been fighting destructive hooks for years!)

You're 100% correct
My mate is a PGA pro
Told me the M1 is the only real "anti left" rescue club currently out there, and as you've said, hook that, and it's swing issues......
Never hit 1 myself, but his words back you up:thup:

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing off 3 he is no idiot as far as golf go's. I would go for an independent fitting by someone who interested in finding the right equipment for your son. Then purchase from you pro using what you have in your account.

This, at them speeds the X is almost a mandatory especially if he has an aggressive transition as well. Would just go back to the same fitter where you went for the driver and have a full session.

Then sell me the 745s for some extra funds towards the new sticks :)

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To answer a few of the above, will try a range session with the weights switched on the hybrid - be interesting to see if there is a difference and how he feels about it - currently small weight in toe and seen reviews saying this is an anti left club.

Did try out driving irons around Christmas as potential present but he did not feel comfortable with them at the time - had a new driver shaft instead a little later.

He did his GCSE's last year so in first year of college (was 17 in December) but is so tall you see people doing a double take when he comes into the room at times when we are out and still pretty skinny.

He does hit an exceptionally high ball, surprisingly irons are currently only 1/2 inch longer than std and 1 deg upright as arms are long and is a ratio - may change with next fitting as grown a lot in the last 18 months.

Played after he got back from college today and he did not have any flyer issues so will play that by ear but will probably be a fitting sooner rather than later.

At least the driver is going like a rocket as he hit the longest drives (wind assisted and bit firm) I have ever seen on a couple of holes being 10 years a member at the club and I have played with the biggest hitters, also drove a 302 yd par 4 (missed 10ft eagle putt).