Burn out

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is this a joke thread? It's playing golf not long distance running. I can see why people get mentally tired with it but physically?

I presume you are young and fit and play a relatively flat course.

I know a few guys my age who are feeling it by the time they get to the 3rd tee where I play and we still have not reached the summit.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
For me it’s not the physical or mental tiredness, I just get fed up playing too much. I recall in Portugal several years ago playing seven days straight and, to a man, we’d had enough by day six, never mind seven.

I’d perhaps enjoy it if I was able to play well day in, day out, but there’s a reason I’m a handicap golfer. As such, I’m afraid there will always come a point during several days’ golf where I’m going to be slapping it round, and when that’s happening I’d rather go fishing.

Bobthesock

Visit site
I presume you are young and fit and play a relatively flat course.

I know a few guys my age who are feeling it by the time they get to the 3rd tee where I play and we still have not reached the summit.
Wouldn't say I'm young or fit and I play at a very hilly course. Wouldn't like to play multiple rounds a day just saying 18 holes a day is nothing.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crickey OP ,I'm 63 with a gammy knee and just done 3 days on the bounce of scratch golf round the The Glamorganshire which is somewhat hillier than I expected and pretty warm at times.
Pairs Medal Board comp tomorrow , 18 holes Sunday and then 27 holes of Scratch Seniors League match on Monday

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Playing Wednesday, Friday and Sunday coming up. Only one day to recover in between games. Its gonna be tough going. (Friday with OP, see Arrange A Game)

Skytot

Visit site
I can play 36 holes in 3 days when on holiday but if you have a physical job like me , I’m a very hard working joiner aged 57 it very tough . My pen pushing pals lay 18 Friday & 18 com Saturday and doesn’t seem to bother them .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
For me it’s not the physical or mental tiredness, I just get fed up playing too much. I recall in Portugal several years ago playing seven days straight and, to a man, we’d had enough by day six, never mind seven.

I’d perhaps enjoy it if I was able to play well day in, day out, but there’s a reason I’m a handicap golfer. As such, I’m afraid there will always come a point during several days’ golf where I’m going to be slapping it round, and when that’s happening I’d rather go fishing.

No, I'm sorry, there is a limit. :)

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I can play 36 holes in 3 days when on holiday but if you have a physical job like me , I’m a very hard working joiner aged 57 it very tough . My pen pushing pals lay 18 Friday & 18 com Saturday and doesn’t seem to bother them .

Would be interesting to see the same people who talk about playing so much golf in this thread walk a couple days in our shoes when it comes to a round after work.

I’d say about 95% of golfers would never understand a day in the life of a trader/golfer. We don’t sit on chairs all day for a start.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've lost a bit of weight this year and feelng the benefits. Played every morning this week and caddied after, even did two bags on Tuesday. Make sure I take on plenty of fluid during each round, also make sure I stretch before playing and that's helped enormously.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In the early 90's, a group of us used to go to Scotland for a week. We'd play 36 holes a day, for 6 days, walking.
We were absolutely shattered by the end of the week, the only thing that kept us going was the fact that we were playing a new course every day, so our interest was kept high.
But 36 holes around Pitlochry for instance was tough going...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Mid 50's and played 5 rounds this week all around handicap with 3 x 3 hour range sessions on non golf days, and feeling great, might play tomorrow

Losing weight and getting some fitness has been a major factor

Albo

Visit site
I got covid this week, had 3 days holed up in bed feeling rotten. Got out today for some fresh air alone, played 47 holes (first 18 was in a buggy), rain put pay to my 3rd round. Will play again tomorrow. Will play Monday too if I can depending on work.