Bunker play

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A and B are in a bunker. A plays and does not rake the sand. B plays and the ball is still in the bunker in A's footprint. Can B rake the bunker before playing his 2nd shot from the bunker. if so is B testing the sand?

Would it have made any difference if A did not rake the bunker and B raked the bunker before playing his first bunker shot?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did A stand on B's ball? Otherwise how did he ball end up ins footprint?

B can lift his ball and the bunker raked to recreate the lie.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
B can rake after his first stroke provided he does not improve the lie, area of stance or swing or line of play of his next shot, the one from A's footprint.

B could have raked out any of the disturbance to the sand made by A before playing his first stroke, because he is entitled to the lie etc he had when his ball came to rest. So he could, had he known, have avoided having his ball end up in A's hoof print.

Edit @ Chris. I took it that B failed to clear the bunker with his first stroke and the ball landed in A's footprint. He would not be allowed to lift the ball, rake and replace in that situation.

Had A stood on B's ball, B would indeed be allowed to restore his lie. In match play, A would be penalised 1 stroke; no penalty in stroke play. But I don't think that's what happened.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
ColinL has nailed it.

If you want capter and verse the relevant Rule is 13 - Ball Played as it lies. Sub paragraph 4 covers what you can't do in a hazard. It's the one that has been changed recently and now includes the following

"At any time, the player may smooth sand or soil in a hazard provided this is for the sole purpose of caring for the course and nothing is done to breach Rule 13-2 with respect to the next stroke. If a ball played from a hazard is outside the hazard after the stroke, the player may smooth sand or soil in the hazard without restriction."

Previously you could only rake after playing your shot.

Couple of relevant decisions

Decision 13-4/19 Condition of Bunker Altered by First Player to Play From It

"Q. The balls of A and B lie in the same bunker, with B’s ball farther from the hole. B plays and his ball comes to rest nearer the hole than A’s ball. Is A entitled to have the bunker restored to its original condition?

A. Yes. In addition to Exception 2 to Rule 13-4, which allows the player to smooth sand or soil in a hazard at any time for the sole purpose of caring for the course, A would be entitled, in equity (Rule 1-4), to restore the bunker to its original condition by raking or other means, even if this involves an area covered by Rule 13-2 with respect to his next stroke. The bunker may be restored by anyone. (Revised)"

Decision 13-4/36 Smoothing Irregularities in Bunker After Stroke But Before Ball Extricated

"Q. A makes a stroke in a bunker but fails to extricate his ball from the bunker. He smoothes irregularities in the area where the stroke was made. The smoothing does not breach Rule 13-2 with respect to his next stroke. However, his opponent, B claims that the smoothing assisted A in his subsequent play of the hole because it constituted testing the consistency of the sand. Is B right?

A. No. In such circumstances Exception 2 to Rule 13-4 permits smoothing, provided nothing is done to breach Rule 13-2 with respect to the player’s next stroke."

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No marks of course to Player A who did not have the courtesy to rake after his stroke. This situation happened to me in a singles match a month ago and my opponent was assiduous in raking the mess he had made before my shot.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Edit @ Chris. I took it that B failed to clear the bunker with his first stroke and the ball landed in A's footprint. He would not be allowed to lift the ball, rake and replace in that situation.

My mistake misread the question. Oops.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
No marks of course to Player A who did not have the courtesy to rake after his stroke. This situation happened to me in a singles match a month ago and my opponent was assiduous in raking the mess he had made before my shot.
B could have requested that A rakes his footprint before B played his first shot.
Obviously B was not expecting to have to play again from the bunker