Builder/tradepeople advice

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We do everyone on a 3-tier payment basis, once all materials are on site the 1st invoice is paid, one the 1st fix is complete the 2nd invoice is paid and then on completion and handover the final invoice is paid, that way it's not 1 lump sum at the end being argued and all the guys and suppliers are paid and not being held up if there are any snagging issues.

We never add any 3rd parties to our costs/charges like scaffold or specific hire equipment etc, we organise it for the customer but they pay those direct.

We have no issues asking and receiving cash

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very good point, I did an extension that cost around the 30k mark and am still owed over 8k in extras that were all agreed to and pointed out as the job was in progress. At the end the customer paid the original quote and ignored all the extras, left me in lots of trouble paying off their extras which were all for massively upgraded fittings in the kitchen and bathroom, not labour so I am massively out of pocket and ended up basically doing the work for free:sbox:

If you do, get a duplicate book and detail the changes from the original job, what the builder is going to charge you and you both sign it and date it, you get a copy and he gets one.
At the end of the job you both gets your bits of paper out and tally up the extras.

Not sure if the extras were ever written down and agreed but many of the builders I have worked with now do the above with a duplicate book. They keep a copy so does the client. It also helps if you ever go to court then you can produce it as evidence. It is unfortunately to easy to keep building and think the client will be good for his word.

I know of a project - allegedly - where the client was able to moan right away that one of the door openings was out by a couple of inches but failed to tell the builder that the extension was a few feet bigger than they had originally agreed.:eek:

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of pointers how I run my own business.

I never ask for money upfront, if I'm supply&fitting on a job I will only ask for money once all materials are onsite or installed. If it's a 1st fix/2nd fix type of job I take around half of the agreed price once the 1st fix is completed then the rest once the job is completed and the customer is happy.

If there are any variations that need sorting I always agree a sum with the customer before I do it so both parties don't get shafted with more work and extra costs.

Depending on what work you're planning on having done, try and agree a payment plan of when he gets paid etc
i always ask for 20% deposit of the agreed price,any extras from the original are added to the bill and paid for seperatly,if a cliant isnt willing to pay a deposit how likely to pay at the end, as for cash in hand this is a nogo as the final job comes with all certification registered with niceic and corgi.