Build houses on golf courses - especially in Surrey?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Too many golf courses, not enough houses.
It is a natural fit.

May I suggest they start with Laleham:smirk:

A little harsh! I'd rate Laleham a little better than Broome Manor and there's very few medium level courses in the area. But there's plenty of potential for 'proper' housing on the entrance area and nearby. Rather liable to flooding though!

Bracknell Forest BC has already taken his idea up by obscenely reneging on an agreement over Blue Mountains!

C

c1973

I used to think Vince Cable was one of the 'better' Lib Dems, over the last couple of years he's kinda slipped down in my estimations to 'disappointing'. Now he's quite firmly in the 'absolute fud' category.

Being in government has not been kind to the Lib Dems tbf.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to think Vince Cable was one of the 'better' Lib Dems, over the last couple of years he's kinda slipped down in my estimations to 'disappointing'. Now he's quite firmly in the 'absolute fud' category.

Being in government has not been kind to the Lib Dems tbf.

With a rating of 6% they are yesterdays men, Clegg's ego cost them big time.
Come 2015 I think the SNP may have more seats in Westminster than the Lib/Dems.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I also know of a Golf Club that has had planning applications for several houses on its 'spare' land turned down.

I expect the investment company that owns it would be quite happy to turn the lot into housing. £10-12k per acre suddenly becomes £1M/acre!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stupid idea, just knock down a few estates and build HIGHER.

Where 10 houses used to stand you could get at least 60 flats.
and we all could start wearing flares and big platform shoes,what we need to build are cheap affordable housing for first time buyers,how many 2 bed starter homes could be built on a golf course,price of land is astronomical so companies owning courses will be rubbing their hands,and if what everyones says that less people are playing that means we need fewer courses win win.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Funnily enough, we are in the process of selling our course for development and are currently searching for the ideal acreage to develop our new course. It will, I think happen in the next 10 years

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Courses in South-East England that I know to be under threat of redevelopment for housing or HS2:

Blue Mountain in Bracknell, Basingstoke Golf Club, Ruislip Golf Course, Uxbridge Golf Course, Bearwood Golf Course in Reading (already closed I believe). A lot of these are council owned pay and play courses where newcomers to the game might start playing, so rather worrying for the future of golf! :angry:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
With a rating of 6% they are yesterdays men, Clegg's ego cost them big time.
Come 2015 I think the SNP may have more seats in Westminster than the Lib/Dems.

that will be the case up here come the next GE. we have 4 Lib MPs one being the ginger rodent, he will def not get re elected