Buggies

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just curious, what is a "360 degree" cart path and what is "right angle" golf? I've never heard either term on a golf course, but plenty of times in maths lessons!

Some places require you to leave the buggy on the path or adjacent rough , walk to the ball and walk back to the buggy.

Quite a few places have sensors and GPS on the hire buggies which prevent you from driving them on the fairways and other restricted areas eg close to the greens. Gets infuriating when you are sharing a buggy and one of you is in the left rough and the other the right.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cost

Varies a lot seen some courses as low as £8 and others £25

There are quite a few that do not let visitors (and some members) use their own buggies.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd never used one until recently when I played with my wife on a golf break. She had never played before, so a buggy was necessary as I knew she wouldn't be up for walking the course. I didn't really like using it as like others I feel that walking to your ball is part of the game (as long as you're able, of course). Also I lost my bearings a bit at times - say you've hit one right into the cabbage, walking up to it you can stay fixed on where it went, but we're zooming up in the buggy, going to the other player's ball on the way as well, I sort of lost of track too easily of where my ball was.

To answer the topic more, I think at most clubs you just pay your money and get your buggy don't you? Most people don't use them at my home club so not sure if they're allowed in comps - our opponents in the betterball matchplay used one last summer. I think they might have locked them away since Covid.

I have just had to book one at Little Hay for my Uncle this Friday as he has a knackered hip. The cost was £20.50. You don't need the disability to get one there either, they have six available and you book one when you book your tee time. You can only book it up to 10:30 tee times there because they're closing their clubhouse at 3pm.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just curious, what is a "360 degree" cart path and what is "right angle" golf? I've never heard either term on a golf course, but plenty of times in maths lessons!

Sorry folks, 360 degree is just my lazy way of describing that there's full concrete cart path that goes right round the entire course, tee to green and green to tee, so that no matter how much rain there is you never have to drive on fairway or other grassed areas
Other courses have the cart path green to tee and then 50/100 yards after the tee but then its drive on the fairway until near the green where path starts again

with (360) you can just drive to the spot adjacent to your ball and walk at right angles across the fairway causing no damage (and less damage than a trolley)

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Sorry folks, 360 degree is just my lazy way of describing that there's full concrete cart path that goes right round the entire course, tee to green and green to tee, so that no matter how much rain there is you never have to drive on fairway or other grassed areas
Other courses have the cart path green to tee and then 50/100 yards after the tee but then its drive on the fairway until near the green where path starts again

with (360) you can just drive to the spot adjacent to your ball and walk at right angles across the fairway causing no damage (and less damage than a trolley)

Thank you. I would need a course that had cart paths deep in the rubbish on the right-hand side of the fairway.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s either every group uses them or it’s just those who really need them. If you mix it up then there are certainly pace of play issues.

Some countries every group should have one, in the UK we should walk if we can, bar a few courses with designs with cart use in mind.

sunshine

Visit site
360 cart paths has got to be one of the most ugly sights in golf, you look down the fairway and see a go-kart race track. Especially when you are playing a course with beautiful views (I'm sure there are plenty in Mauritius).

I remember when I played Finca Cortesin the cart paths had been cleverly routed to be an unobtrusive as possible, it was often behind bushes and trees when you looked down the fairway. That place is pure class, amazing attention to detail.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
360 cart paths has got to be one of the most ugly sights in golf, you look down the fairway and see a go-kart race track. Especially when you are playing a course with beautiful views (I'm sure there are plenty in Mauritius).

I remember when I played Finca Cortesin the cart paths had been cleverly routed to be an unobtrusive as possible, it was often behind bushes and trees when you looked down the fairway. That place is pure class, amazing attention to detail.

There's no doubting you can see bits of cart path from tee area but fortunately the designer is pretty switched on and most of it is not 'part of the hole' Its on the outside of fairway, first cut and where possible its often well outside of long rough too so thankfully any visual impact is very much kept to a minimum. But I can see how it could spoil things if its not done properly

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hit my longest drive once down a cart path.
Shot down the path like an Exocet 400+ yds.
It came to a very sharp bend where my ball bounced over the kerb and ended up on the fairway.
Use buggies in the USA but wouldn’t use one here.
You can get very cold in a buggy in the uk.
The walking keeps you warm.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Comps have to have a medical certificate

Otherwise book one in the shop to guarantee one or roll up and take a punt. With no visitors (except members guests) there hasn't been as much demand. Of course there are restrictions in the winter depending on ground conditions. Restricted to one person per buggy