Buggies

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
What does you club do when it comes to who can use a buggy??

Nairn, they only let you have one if you have a medical problem, or health issue. The kings lets anyone use them, the last few months i've noticed lots of young guys using them, which usually means playing the holes quickly then sitting at the next tee for ages looking at their phones

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
No restrictions on who can use ours and only restricted for use when wet. Our shorter course has a buggy path the whole way round for use throughout the winter as buggy path only.

Normally only older members use them but you occasionally see younger members using them but it is normally in the evening time for a quick 9 holes etc.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Nairn you only see a few and those tend to be the handful of guys who have there own, who are all old guys, you get the odd visitor using them too, but again they tend to be older.

The Kings in Inverness, it always appears to be young guy, and i mean in their 20's..

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No driving licence, no buggy
Used extensively for social and competition golf but not for tournaments
Most clubs have 40-50 carts available for hire so availability not usually a problem
Mandatory to use them for pace of play at several clubs (long distances between green & tee)
Seen the odd discount deal not to use one during winter months but not common
Last time I can remember not using one was Aug 2013

Some courses have 360 degree cart paths so can still use buggy for right angle golf any weather

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do you mean generally or for comps?

Generally, why would any club restrict their use? I can't work out the logic in that. If someone wants to use a buggy for a social round then why not?

Comps, we had a discussion at my club a few years ago regarding this. We opened up the use of buggies in comps to anyone, no medical certificate or note required. The decision was made to encourage people to play in comps, not to put obstacles in their way. I understand plenty will disagree with that but it was a decision that works for our club.

It is rare that buggies are off, if the course is open then 99% of the time buggies can be used.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
General, comps you have to have a medical cert.

the reason they limit the use is they only have a certain number of buggies to use, if all of them were out in the morning and someone who needed one who had a medical issue there would be none available.

sunshine

Visit site
No driving licence, no buggy
Used extensively for social and competition golf but not for tournaments
Most clubs have 40-50 carts available for hire so availability not usually a problem
Mandatory to use them for pace of play at several clubs (long distances between green & tee)
Seen the odd discount deal not to use one during winter months but not common
Last time I can remember not using one was Aug 2013

Some courses have 360 degree cart paths so can still use buggy for right angle golf any weather

Sounds like total golf hell to me. I love the walk, it's an integral part of the game to me.

I've played a few resort courses where we reluctantly had to use buggies because of long distances between holes. There's something missing when you ride a buggy, it's not quite golf to me.

I've no issues with others using a buggy, especially for medical reasons.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Sounds like total golf hell to me. I love the walk, it's an integral part of the game to me.

I've played a few resort courses where we reluctantly had to use buggies because of long distances between holes. There's something missing when you ride a buggy, it's not quite golf to me.

slab is somewhere in Mauritius i think

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

It is what it is really. Plenty walking still to be done
I rack up 10,000 steps in a round
Courses are still up to 7500 yards even if I don't play the back tees. Added to the green to tee distance and it must easily double the length of many an 'average' course length so there's no real need to walk 10000 yards plus in tropical heat without it having to be a medical excemption

Edit, if I tried it I probably would end up as a medical case ?

D

Deleted member 21258

All depends on club, one I think is medical only allowed buggies, rest you can use if you wish to and available.

I have only used a buggy at a couple of the clubs, as enjoy the walk, gives time to take in the views.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At ours you can play with buggies. There are two to rent in the summer and a few members have their own. I don't like them personally as walking the course is something I much prefer to do. Using a buggy takes away part of the whole experience.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play

Buggies can be used by anybody playing social golf.

To use one in a comp you have to have a medical certificate and neither can a person without a medical cert have their clubs on a buggy being used by someone else with one.

We have around 25 players who have their own buggy (including me) and about 14 for rent.

Using your own buggy requires a medical cert for all play and you must be insured.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If someone has a medical condition and needs a buggy then I would expect them to pre book to ensure one is available. You wouldn't take the chance of just turning up and asking for one would you?

I'm guessing your course attracts a lot of visitors who like to use buggies and so this is more of an issue. Visitors use them at ours as it is a long course and it adds to the occasion but members tend not to. One guy definitely has his own, he brings it with him.

What is the cost of a buggy for a member? I think ours is either £10 or £15. As we can't share right now it adds a bit of a chunk onto a round for a standard weekly game

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i was told this as last year i had a few guests coming on a sunday, then last min i had to play a knockout on the same day, so tried to book one for my moring round. was told i couldn't unless i had a medivcal issue, but yes i'd imagine its the fact a load of yanks might turn up and just expect one.

£10

only ever used a buggy twice, both times at Spey Valley.. it can be a slog

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site

Just curious, what is a "360 degree" cart path and what is "right angle" golf? I've never heard either term on a golf course, but plenty of times in maths lessons!