Budget GPS - which one?

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am a massive hypocrite, but I want a GPS.

OK, so that minor point out of the way I need some help/recommendations on which unit to look closer at. I'm after a basic and simple GPS that will tell me front, middle and back yardages, and ideally a shot-distance-measure-function so I can gloat when I hit a 450 yard drive. I'm not bothered about hazard distances, flyovers or whatever else these things do. All I want is nice and simple.

So, the models I've found so far are;

Garmin S1
Snooper S210
Bushnell Neo+

Can anybody recommend/slate the models above? Or suggest an alternative? Ideally I'm looking to shop around to find a GPS under £100.

Thanks one and all.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without wishing to sound rude, there's loads of threads about GPS so use the search function.

i recently bought the S1 for the reasons you have just outlined. I love it. Box clever and price match if you buy it in the high street.

D

Deleted member 18121

I've had my s1 for approx 9 months and now dont leave home without it..... never missed a beat.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
S1 here too.
Simple and effective.
Being new to the game it's one of my best buys.
I had no idea how to judge distance and no idea how far I could hit each club.
Now I do.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
I've got a SkyCaddie SG2.5 which I love but I also downloaded an app called Golfshot GPS for my smartphone. I've tested them side by side & the yardages are almost identical. It's normally £20 but if you download an app called Blackmart Alpha you can get it for free (search the internet for it as the Playstore one doesn't work properly)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I have an S1 and it works well, but there are three minor irritants:

• It sometimes takes a long time to lock on to the satellites.
  • Battery life is limited. Last Sunday I played 36 holes and it just about managed (and popped up a low battery warning after about 34 holes).
  • The strap appears to be non-replaceable, so that will be a problem if it breaks. (I notice the S2 has a replaceable strap).

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being a 20+ H/C maybe invest the money into some qualitly lessons.

Dont see what being a 20+ H/C has to do with getting a GPS unit. Its possible that better course management would drop him a couple shots which a gps would help with.

Plus for all you know the OP may already be having a course of lessons. It wasnt a case of lessons or GPS.