Brrr... Frosty Mornings

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
First frost delay of the Autumn this morning at Blairgowrie, due to minus three degrees. I'll need to look out the woolly hat!

V3KywJG.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do not have delays due to frost and neither do we have Temporary greens on the simple basis of frost.
You play the course as you find it!!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We do not have delays due to frost and neither do we have Temporary greens on the simple basis of frost.
You play the course as you find it!!
We have "frost" greens that thankfully are hardly ever used. I guess our greens team believe that playing on greens with frost is not good for them.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love Blairgowrie. I've maybe posted this before but Rosemount is my favourite inland course. Much more enjoyable than Gleneagles.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
senior open this morning, selected my time for the orig date, which was mid may and i chose 8.20.... should have thought about it, freezing this morning though no frost in nairn, 2 deg. ball was going nowhere. warmed up by the time we walked off at 12. good for scoring this afternoon.

could be long trouser time:cry:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Interesting to have a senior open at the weekend. They are mostly mid-week in the central belt of Scotland.
was supposed to be mid may always on a friday, rearranged for today, no idea why it wasn't done during the week . poor planning TBH, yesterday was the King, which is the main open off the black tee's with a handicap limit, so two days members couldn't get on the course, to make matter worse, next weekend is the ladies open:LOL:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That's what I thought, but I understand that the experts have differing views, some will immediately close frozen greens while others aren't worried.
Who knows ?‍♂️

For years our greenkeepers have said the cost in terms of time and money of preparing and maintaining temporary greens far outweighs the cost of repairing any damage caused to regular greens by playing on them when they are frozen or frosty.

We haven’t used temps for nearly 20 years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a big difference between the Highlands of Scotland and Yeovil. We're only 20 miles from Glenshee ski slopes. :)

We ran a test on our 9 hole course several years ago to see what the damage to the greens would be by always having them in play and the result was we have no temporary greens on that course and on the 18 hoe course they only go to temps when the frost is coming out of the green if the frost has actually penetrated in to the ground.

Frost is quite common but snow on the other hand is a different story.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I’m no expert but I believe there is something about how the roots can get damaged in frost quite easily.

That's what I thought, but I understand that the experts have differing views, some will immediately close frozen greens while others aren't worried.
Who knows ?‍♂️

IIRC, our greenskeeper told us that frozen solid isn't an issue as nothing can move; it's when there's a partial frost or defrosting, so part of the grass can move and part not, so the blade shears from the root and dies. These might explain it better;

https://www.bigga.org.uk/news-listing/should-you-play-on-winter-greens-when-it-s-frosty.html

https://www.carolinasgolf.org/images/CarolinasGolf/site/agronomy/frost.htm

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
No frost when I was up at the club by 6.30 on Saturday but boy was it cold in the wind and the chill factor. A little better for a nice Sunday practice while the 36 hole foursomes was played but still a first Autumnal nip in the air and the first time the bobble hat has been out. Could definitely done with some winter mitts for the first 3-4 holes on Saturday