Brooks: The new Tiger?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We all thought nobody could ever again dominate the game the way Tiger did.
But is Brooks on the way to heading down that same road?
He's always there or thereabouts, winning plenty and being the bookies favourite.
Obviously he's got a long way to go before we can say that he's "done a Tiger" but when do we start ?
The way he's going Tiger might end up 3rd on the Majors list

Is Brooks the "New" Tiger?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We all thought nobody could ever again dominate the game the way Tiger did.
But is Brooks on the way to heading down that same road?
He's always there or thereabouts, winning plenty and being the bookies favourite.
Obviously he's got a long way to go before we can say that he's "done a Tiger" but when do we start ?
The way he's going Tiger might end up 3rd on the Majors list

Is Brooks the "New" Tiger?

I bet Mrs Brooks hopes he’s not

Wolf

Visit site
I'd say it's definitely more than a purple patch like DJ (1major) or Spieth who has a fair few flaws. Brooks has the all around game and very solid technique.

I dont see anyone being the next Tiger at least not in my lifetime though I'd love Brooks to prove me wrong. I do think though he can get to double figures for majors. But we have to wait and see.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he cared more about normal tour events then maybe but I don’t think he has the passion to do it.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Long way from even starting to speculate on this.

Pretty sure Brooks has gone off fav in only 2 of the 4 majors this year and has been 10/1 and upwards in them all. Woods was going off an even money favourite at his peak! Depth of competition far far greater now than when Woods peaked, and thats without looking at the next raft who have just turned pro, the likes of Hovland, Wolff, Morikawa etc

D

Deleted member 15344

So far - Rory , Speith and DJ have been the new Woods but like them it’s a hot patch - fields are too deep for one player to dominate for an extended period

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Interesting question. In my opinion there won't be anyone to dominate the game to the level Woods did in terms of major wins and ability to stand head and shoulders above the competition in majors and tour events. These days the fields are too deep. I think Kopeka is currently the best player in majors as his record shows and has found a way to get it done or be very close. Is that any different to when McIlroy was at his best, or when DJ, Spieth and others were having hot patches? It depends how long Koepka can keep the run going. I can certainly see him picking up at least one ajor next season but as the majors are already done for 2019 it's a long time to keep playing well and to try and peak again for Augusta

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’ll be years and years before there’s anyone like tiger. There could be someone - maybe even koepka - who goes on to be the dominant player of his generation but no-one will redefine the game the way tiger did for a long, long time.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like the chip he has on his shoulder... keep that intact and he could have a good few years. Agree with the point about strength in depth of the tour that will make it hard to sustain - but he’ll have made his fortune by then 😉

Can’t see another Tiger coming along for a while, they’re a once in a generation treat

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Not the new Tiger,but see him winning more Majors than Rory,Spieth or any of the current players.

He’s certainly mentally bet than Rory.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Tiger redefined how top golfers needed to be all round athletes. He was the first person to take it that level, and that, combined with an unbelievable focus led to his success. Brooks is competing with a host of athletes now. Until someone finds the next 'trick' that sets them apart, there won't be another Tiger phenomenon.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't think they'll be another Woods anytime soon. He was a once in a generation player as Nicklaus was before him. Both took the game forward and then others caught up. Koepka is moving the needle a little certainly in majors but I don't see him or anyone for a generation being that one stand out player that dominates the sport

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think there will ever be a domination like Tiger and it's hard to compare any pro athlete's/football from generation to generation but I do think he'll dominate the current players/events for the next few years. He's on the right path with 4 major wins and 15+ tour wins. I love his attitude, the way he plays and his truthfulness. It's refreshing to see someone come out and talk about slow play or how the game maybe needs to develop or change.

It's the old Maradona/Messi comparison. Just admire/appreciate each one individually.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Why is everyone saying we won't see another Tiger for 'a while'? How long is 'a while'?
There may be some kid who bursts through Q school at the end of the year who goes on to dominate, we just don't know.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nah, Brooks is in his peak period (most of the guys who reach the very top get one) it’s just a case of how long he can make it last and as much as I enjoy seeing him win there’s nothing to suggest he will fare any different to the rest. They can/do pick up wins either side of their peak but that pinnacle period is when they really hoover up

Tiger’s peak was 11 straight years but most players only manage between 18 -24 months (that’s a fairly loose range but the stats show it in both the mens and womens game in recent years)

Yes there’s exceptions to the rule like Justin Rose, Lefty etc (although there’s an discussion to be had about when Rose’s peak really started or if he ever reached the very top :eek:) & maybe Brooks will join that list especially if he keep targeting the majors the way he has. Rory managed to get his peak out to 4 years & has the skills to get a second peak (but that remains to be seen)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is everyone saying we won't see another Tiger for 'a while'? How long is 'a while'?
There may be some kid who bursts through Q school at the end of the year who goes on to dominate, we just don't know.

There 'could be'. Nobody knows but Tiger's dominance was so amazing that it's going to take some brilliance to dominate like he did.

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because Tiger's era wasn't just about his domination, it was the way his approach to golf totally redefined the game for everyone who followed.