Britain's best putter - The Nottinghamshire Midlands regional final

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thought I had better drop in a quick post about my day out at the Nottinghamshire for the Britains Best putter regional final and to say a big thank you to GM for a fantastic day.

Firstly - I cant believe its a week since the event - where has that gone!

It was as just about a perfect day as you could ask for.

On arrival at The Nottinghamshire we were greeted by Paul from GM and several people from Callaway / Odyssey for signing in and to be handed a goodie bag with a Cap, Hex black balls, copy of the current Magazine etc. Although I was in on a wildcard from the forum and felt a little like I was gate crashing the party, I was welcomed in and soon got chatting to the rest of the guys. I found and hooked up for the first round with another Forumer (Mick Morton) and later on another forumer (Rick) and someone who entered via facebook (Kev) . We were all wildcard entries and similar handicaps so it seemed perfect that we headed out together for the round later on.

First of all though it was a warm up and the chance to try out a number of different Odyssey putters - I settled for the 'Tank' which is similar to the fanged putters but a bit heavier - it complements my elephant like touch!!

The course was set out on the putting green in front of the clubhouse and consisted of nine holes with some interesting breaks on a very very fast surface.

I am please (and relieved) to say that I got through the first elimination round consisting of the lowest scorse over 18 holes putting (I managed a 34 with 2 x 3 putts) and into the matchplay so hopefully earnt my invite for the day in the end.

While I qualified fairly well the next guy (Keith) I played soon had the handle on me during the matchplay and when he went 1 up after 6 holes I started 'going for it' to get a hole back and effectively gave him the chance to consolidate the lead even further . At least I took it to the last few holes before going out so was not embarssed with my efforts- the best man definitely won on that match.

It was then a matter of standing back and watching some wonderful matches between some equally wonderful putters. The quarter finals came down to 4 older guys and 4 youngsters with the winners of each pairing being guarenteed a place in the final at the Belfry. All 4 of the young guns got through and Keith who beat me was also now out at the hands of one of them. I watched this match with some interest and was relived that Keith put me out as while he put up a good fight for me it could have been very embarrassing to go down 10 & 8 to someone half may age (Ok probalably nearer 1/3rd my age!!)

We then watched the semi finals and finals as a group and I have to say that the guys who got through were not only great putters but were fearless - halving very tricky holes in 1 putts on many occasions and in each case showing just how well deserved their places in the final were.

A chat with the winner afterwards revealed that he is playing off scratch and seeing him in action you can see why.

We decided that there should be 2 categories next time - under 20's and 'veterans' - take a look at the picture of the winners and you will see that their average age is less than 20!!

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/brita...ds-regional-final-at-the-nottinghamshire.html

After a superb buffet lunch that had been laid on we headed out onto one of the two courses (we played the course named the Open). The course was fairly brutal and I managed to loose several balls in the penal rough when taking on doglegs and dropping short or long or just even slightly off line. There was also a lot of water which meant as a group we will have contributed to the profits of any lake ball sellers in the area considerably.

However while the course managed to beat us up fairly well it was a pleasure to play and in fantastic condition. Its definietly one to play a second time once you know the layout and the hazards! The company was fantastic (both in the 4 ball I was in - thanks guys - and the rest of the people there on the day) the weather was just superb (thanks to GM for organising that also:lol:) . Al in all just about as perfect a day out as you could possibly hope for.

I had better get out on the putting green to hone my skills for next year - gonna need it to challenge some of the people I met !!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

Nice review and glad it was a good day out, At least you got through the 1st round and next time you never know! I would have had my money on a veteran winning the putting.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
sounds good, nice write up. :thup:

I'm assuming you only get to pick and use an Odyssey putter(as opposed to using your own) so it goes to show its not always the putter but the puttee (is that a word lol) as a good putter will still be a good putter no matter what he/she uses..........are you listening DV and forum:whistle:

Last years winner was a teenager I believe and the report above has 4 young finalists, are the young braver and us oldies scared to go for it knowing if its too far past it could be a 3 or 4 putt? ...another useful thought DV and forum:smirk:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I played against Luke & Nathan last year at the Belfry. Luke beat me in the semi-final to go through to the finals day at the Grove I think it was last year. It took him 21 holes though to get rid of me ;)

If Luke & Nathan have improved from last year, they'll be right on up there.

MickM

www.oakmerepark.co.uk
Can only echo what HickoryShaft has said. Many thanks to GM for the opportunity and a great day out in excellent company. I didn't make it through the first round.:( I was two shots off the cut so my two 3 putts cost me dear. Particularly galling as I was using my own Odyssey putter! Thankfully I putted half decent during the afternoon round but still managed to stuff loads of balls into the rough and water. I also thought the course was in fantastic condition and a fair test. An easy walking course and not particularly long. Only used driver a couple of times as 3 iron off the tee on most of the par 4s left a mid-iron/wedge. Bit different to my home course where driver is the club 10 or 11 times. Tyke had played the course before some years ago and his local knowledge was invaluable, except on the last where the large pond in the distance was not on my GPS. Tyke reliably informed us that the pond was at least 300 yds away. So after pulling my first drive into the left hedge trying to cut the dogleg, proceeded to hit the provisional into the water. At least the ball was one of the freebies....