Brexit - The negotiations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Does anyone care about EU funding for edge communities as long Londoners benefit and can take their South of France holidays with their blue passport. Ironically, Brexshit is likely to impact some of those who voted for it than those who did not. (just an uninformed observation before someone asks me for proof)
I have crofter/farmer relatives one of the Inner Hebrides and they used to get much focussed support from the EU as well as the Scottish Government. They are very concerned about what will happen when the funding goes - and also very concerned about their markets for lamb and their cattle. If their lamb and cattle markets are undermined or undercut then the economies of these communities are going to be at very high risk of collapse - and if the island farming and fishing economies collapse then island depopulation will be drastic.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have crofter/farmer relatives one of the Inner Hebrides and they used to get much focussed support from the EU as well as the Scottish Government. They are very concerned about what will happen when the funding goes - and also very concerned about their markets for lamb and their cattle. If their lamb and cattle markets are undermined or undercut then the economies of these communities are going to be at very high risk of collapse - and if the island farming and fishing economies collapse then island depopulation will be drastic.
What a crock of claptrap. They get nothing from the EU. The rabid remain gang are on form here and need to take a good spoonful of reality.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a crock of claptrap. They get nothing from the EU. The rabid remain gang are on form here and need to take a good spoonful of reality.

OK - so when my relatives tell me how concerned they are they are talking claptrap. I'll let them know some expert in crofting in the Western Isles who lives in the south of England tells them not to worry. Boris will see them OK.

Don't forget - there is not a remain gang anymore - there are ex-leave voters - some seemingly very paranoid - with fingers crossed and willing to excuse anything and any behaviour of the government, and a load of weary and rather philosophical ex-remain voters

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Love the stock response.. Claim Remainers are fear mongers and Leavers know better.. Reality check - that boat has sailed we are all leavers. Also good to know that you apparently know more than someone who is affected. Its me sitting in London saying that I cant see any flooding outside my window and those in Shropshire are just having a bad hair day.

Brexit is more likely to bite the arse that is linked to the hand that fed it, rather than latte sipping London liberals..

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did ask earlier in this thread not to take it down the same route as the other brexit thread.

Can I suggest some of you change your posting style to be less condescending, confrontational and aggressive.

I won't be asking again!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK - so when my relatives tell me how concerned they are they are talking claptrap. I'll let them know some expert in crofting in the Western Isles who lives in the south of England tells them not to worry. Boris will see them OK.

Don't forget - there is not a remain gang anymore - there are ex-leave voters - some seemingly very paranoid - with fingers crossed and willing to excuse anything and any behaviour of the government, and a load of weary and rather philosophical ex-remain voters
OK. Please explain to me how your crofter relatives received funds from the EU and not the UK. By the way, my comments were directed to you.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did ask earlier in this thread not to take it down the same route as the other brexit thread.

Can I suggest some of you change your posting style to be less condescending, confrontational and aggressive.

I won't be asking again!

Might be an idea to 'punish' the offenders rather that label/punish the whole class.;);)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
OK. Please explain to me how your crofter relatives received funds from the EU and not the UK. By the way, my comments were directed to you.
I have little idea - this is what they told me what they were very worried about - that and the impact of the price of lamb they get being undercut.

They may well be wrong about the funding - though they are worried about that - even if it goes to the Scottish Government first - I do not know - certainly their worries about the price they will get for their lambs seem valid. And it was the government adviser who seemed to be suggesting that fishing and farming are that not important in the great scheme of things.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
And it was the government adviser who seemed to be suggesting that fishing and farming are that not important in the great scheme of things.

Talk about cherry picking. :oops:
You missed this bit......

''The government has, however, distanced itself from the comments made by the Treasury adviser. A spokesman said: “We have made clear the comments are not in line with government policy.”

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have little idea - this is what they told me what they were very worried about - that and the impact of the price of lamb they get being undercut.

They may well be wrong about the funding - though they are worried about that - even if it goes to the Scottish Government first - I do not know - certainly their worries about the price they will get for their lambs seem valid. And it was the government adviser who seemed to be suggesting that fishing and farming are that not important in the great scheme of things.

May be just leftist BBC view >> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-38295652

I just realised that the europeans are stealing our waters too >> https://ec.europa.eu/regional_polic...l-craft-beer-production-in-the-outer-hebrides

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another post that completely mis states the way EU funding is used. The EU didnt have people driving around the UK with wads of money in the boot of their cars looking for poor soles who needed it. The requirement for funding is made to the EU by the UK Government (You know, those wicked Tories who's only policy is robbing the poor to waste on the rich) the EU would consider the application and if acceptable would pay part of the funding and the UK would pay the rest. Another tiny point to consider is that as net contributors their share was from the money we pay to them anyhow. What's not to like about that ?

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site

''The government has, however, distanced itself from the comments made by the Treasury adviser. A spokesman said: “We have made clear the comments are not in line with government policy.”

Well, here's hoping they back up their words with action... And, not sell fishing/farming out...

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I wont read too much into the denial or the idea. this is classic PR approach.. get some wierdo to float an idea. See how joe public react and then either adopt it or distance yourself. Easy way to test things, happens all the time. I am not surprised that the 'data' shows F&F is only 1% and this is a similar profile to Singapore so as per any good management consultants Singapore is the model to gun for. Reality is that Data often ignores emotions and sometimes the context related to people.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Looks like the 'much vaunted' US Trade Deal we will negotiate quickly and easily to compensate for any loss of EU Single Market access, may well have been a little over-sold...according to Johnson.

I am not sure the Leave argument went along the lines...

In its negotiating blueprint, Mr. Johnson’s government predicted that even if the talks were highly successful, an American deal would expand the British economy, at most, by 0.16 percent by the middle of the next decade.

This more circumspect tone reflects the realization that a trade deal with the United States was always going to be far less important for Britain than its parallel talks with the European Union, given their greater trade and closer integration.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...aybe-not-now/ar-BB10FyeR?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

In the light of this let's hope that the EU needs us as more than we need the EU, and that we DO manage to negotiate a great deal with the EU and that we do not walk away - we might need that EU deal...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Funny. All I heard was spin, waffle and contradictions
And separately - the experts in the coronovirus briefing were also excellent. Good that Johnson was visibly showing some leadership for the country. I used to have some trust in Gove when he said he couldn't in all honesty conscience Johnson as PM back then...and then we had May.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Looks like the 'much vaunted' US Trade Deal we will negotiate quickly and easily to compensate for any loss of EU Single Market access, may well have been a little over-sold...according to Johnson.

I am not sure the Leave argument went along the lines...

In its negotiating blueprint, Mr. Johnson’s government predicted that even if the talks were highly successful, an American deal would expand the British economy, at most, by 0.16 percent by the middle of the next decade.

This more circumspect tone reflects the realization that a trade deal with the United States was always going to be far less important for Britain than its parallel talks with the European Union, given their greater trade and closer integration.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/othe...aybe-not-now/ar-BB10FyeR?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

In the light of this let's hope that the EU needs us as more than we need the EU, and that we DO manage to negotiate a great deal with the EU and that we do not walk away - we might need that EU deal...

Therein lies the issue - some members Germany, Spain etc need to UK because they depend heavily on their exports to the UK. France however exports less to us so, apart from angry French fishermen, they/Macron can be the hard guys. Barnier's aim is to discourage/prevent any of the R27 from following the UK.

Little economic logic still exists Consequently we are not dealing with an set of uniform (democratic) aims and objectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.