Bowed left wrist for right handed golfer

Diamond

Visit site
Morning
I had a lesson and was told that I need to bow my left wrist so that it is bowed on my back swing. The reason is to stop the slice with the irons and a more consistent strike.
Does anyone know of any drills to help with this or do i just need to grind at the range until it hopefully clicks?

wjemather

Visit site
Morning
I had a lesson and was told that I need to bow my left wrist so that it is bowed on my back swing. The reason is to stop the slice with the irons and a more consistent strike.
Does anyone know of any drills to help with this or do i just need to grind at the range until it hopefully clicks?
A slice is almost always caused by a combination of grip, alignment and swing path - a bowed wrist will not correct these faults, and can very easily lead to shanks and hooks for higher handicappers.

Diamond

Visit site
At the range I hit a lot of hooks, and a few straight ones as well. I think its easier to bow the wrist than keep flat, I do also have a steep swing so I think the bowed wrist may well help with that. I will perservere.

PIng

Head Pro
Visit site
I tried bowing my left wrist for a few holes tonight (not sure if it was bowing or flattening as Bob suggests). It felt weird, but my drives went straight and long, even a slight draw, compared to my usual push/slice. Couldn't replicate it with my irons though, they were hooking to the left. Work in progress.

Diamond

Visit site
Instead of bowing I tried and having my right hand in the waiter position which I think flattens the wrist. I sliced 1 ball of 50 but the bad shot was a hook/push to three left. I really took my time to ensure the face was square at set up and that seemed to stop the hooks, will hit another 50 today. Perseverance...