Bottom 5 courses

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a member at Brampton Park I was about to defend our course but then saw you ranked it with The Jubilee at St Andrews so that's good enough for me.

I wondered what your reply to him would be. Even that day when I came down to play and some of the greens where shut due to the weather, I still enjoyed it and would go back again. Like you said, a great compliment for the course to be mentioned in the sentence as the Jubillee, I'm sure the committee would to use it as a sales pitch for visitors.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Based on the very limited number but very high quality standard of courses HID has played, she would have Broadstone in her worst 5 :D

Tarkus1212

Challenge Tour Pro
www.johnogauntgolfclub.co.uk
As a member at Brampton Park I was about to defend our course but then saw you ranked it with The Jubilee at St Andrews so that's good enough for me.

Amanda, you have absolutely no need to defend your course from what is only my opinion - which is worth no more and no less than anyone else's. What is it they say about opinions and rectums? I'm certain that my top 5 favourite courses would probably not feature on most peoples favourites list. Variety is a wonderful thing and long may we all be different. :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Amanda, you have absolutely no need to defend your course from what is only my opinion - which is worth no more and no less than anyone else's. What is it they say about opinions and rectums? I'm certain that my top 5 favourite courses would probably not feature on most peoples favourites list. Variety is a wonderful thing and long may we all be different. :)

Purely out of interest, what is your top 5?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
This may come across as a stupid statement, but I'll make it anyway. The Old Course would not feature anywhere near my top 10. Having been a member there I played it a lot so I can see past the nostalgia and the excitement of getting to play it. If you take away what it is, the you are left with a great condition links course, that I do not feel is that spectacular for the price tag.

In that area there are courses I much preferred playing. Scotscraig, Ladybank, Lundin Links and The Jubilee course to just name some offer much better challenges and value for money.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Wouldn't that be another thread? I'd hate to fall foul of the forum rules this early in my membership ��

Nah...what if I just said that 1 of your top 5 was in my bottom 5...purely for discussion sake? The Mods are all a bit doolally, I think we'd get away with it :D

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
This may come across as a stupid statement, but I'll make it anyway. The Old Course would not feature anywhere near my top 10. Having been a member there I played it a lot so I can see past the nostalgia and the excitement of getting to play it. If you take away what it is, the you are left with a great condition links course, that I do not feel is that spectacular for the price tag.

In that area there are courses I much preferred playing. Scotscraig, Ladybank, Lundin Links and The Jubilee course to just name some offer much better challenges and value for money.

Personally think the stretch from 11 through to 18 is a stunning run of holes on the Old Course. Great par 3, one of the best par 5's I have ever played, and two of the most iconic par 4's to finish with. The other holes are not bad as well.;) Golfing heaven to me. I also really rate the New Course and the Jubilee, great value for money, but I know which course I would choose for my last ever round.

Ladybank is a nice course, but in my opinion would struggle to get in the top 20 heathland courses around the Surrey/Berkshire area.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably Dawlish Warren for me. Not a bad course as such, but the rough was ridiculous, i lost probably twelve balls, some of these were inches off the fairway. Although in redemption the pro sold me a very slightly faulty cart bag for a tenner, so it wasn't a completely fruitless trip!

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southampton Municipal.

Excellent course (although the drainage is ropey) and a very good test of ability but it is frequented / packed by people who seem only interested in clattering the ball into the next county and dont have the ability to play the game.

Really? When was the last time you played it? Its improved a lot since MyTime took over, they've invested heavily in improving the drainage, and the increased green fees seems to be keeping the 'Lordshill massive' away

D

Deleted Member 1156

Really? When was the last time you played it? Its improved a lot since MyTime took over, they've invested heavily in improving the drainage, and the increased green fees seems to be keeping the 'Lordshill massive' away

Not played 'the muni' for years, love that course! What sort of condition has it been in this year? Do they still run the Southampton scratch open there? Used to attract a really strong field.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not played 'the muni' for years, love that course! What sort of condition has it been in this year? Do they still run the Southampton scratch open there? Used to attract a really strong field.

I think its been excellent. The 2nd was closed for most of the summer while they carried out the drainage improvements, no big bother though as you played the second on the 9 hole course instead, its not exactly a bad replacement. The hole was reopened towards teh end of the summer and some of the grass was still GUR but it should be back to normal by now, its had a decent natural watering after all! The new owners have invested some serious money in it and it shows. Not sure about the scratch open but I haven't heard anyone say it isn't still held.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The worst I've played was mollington near liverpool about 10 years ago, some decent holes but the condition made the course virtually unplayable

hole 17 - the island is where Liverbirdie laid his famous "strong grip" barb on me! played on my mind for over a year! what a scoundrel!

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Admittedly i've only played it once this year but that's because the previous summer it took us 50 odd mins to play the 7th, 8th and 9th.

All of which was a shame as i played a lot of my formative golf around the Muni.

Last edited:

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Personally think the stretch from 11 through to 18 is a stunning run of holes on the Old Course. Great par 3, one of the best par 5's I have ever played, and two of the most iconic par 4's to finish with. The other holes are not bad as well.;) Golfing heaven to me. I also really rate the New Course and the Jubilee, great value for money, but I know which course I would choose for my last ever round.

Ladybank is a nice course, but in my opinion would struggle to get in the top 20 heathland courses around the Surrey/Berkshire area.

I think there are a lot of ordinary holes that you would find on any decent Links Course. I love the 1st, the 5th is a nice par 5 and the 7th is a tricky little bugger too. The 11th is a great par 3, 13 and 14 are fantastic holes too. Then obviously the drive at 17 and the 18th speak for themself. I have always wondered if the Old Course was not what it is, would it get the kind of ratings it would. Obviously any list of top courses has to include it, because the overall experience is just fantastic. I can still remember my first ever tee shot there and the day I chatted to Monty next to the 18th tee. But if you play it regularly then you do not get the nostalgia anymore and see it as a normal course.

But hey that's my opinion and if I could only ever hit one more drive in my life it would have to be the one at the 17th, hitting over the 'O' in course to draw it back in just feels amazing when it comes off. If I had to play one last hole and never play again it would still be the 18th. :fore: