Boo Weekly

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This guy is great. A real breath of fresh air from the automated robots out there.

The more I see of this guy the more I like him. Never a dull moment.

Unlike Poulter. Hole in one. Nothing to say about it except that it was a well struck 8 iron. Dull.

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oh come on.

Poulter has had the $hit ripped out of him for a misquoted article. He's hardly then going to go on about how great his shot was is he? How can you knock a guy who shoots 70 and has a hole-in-one at 16? You can bet anything you like that off-camera his recounting of it was less dull. Besides, it's day one of a Major - is it not professional of him to reign in the emotion and hyperbole? Or is it the fact that he hasn't conformed to the stereotypical image of him being the brash gobby Englishman that is what really grates?

I'm sure you'll all be able to lay into him when it goes wrong. At least have the decency to acknowledge a great round with a spectacular shot.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Yes, a great round, and yes a fantastic golf shot that transformed his scoring. Hope he does well this week. Rose too, and Sandy.

But, great TV is more than this, you need more than just good golf, and a hole in one is an opportunity to let a bit of character shine through. Especially when being interviewed after the round. A round of high fives on the tee is all very well, but....

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
But, great TV is more than this, you need more than just good golf, and a hole in one is an opportunity to let a bit of character shine through. Especially when being interviewed after the round. A round of high fives on the tee is all very well, but....

I thought his job was to play sport not be great TV? That is the fault of the broadcaster, not the sportsman.

I still think you win the top curmudgeon award for the day! :D

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
I sort of agree with both of you. We like Poulter in our house - Me because he's a good English player, the Mrs because he's handsome and isn't afraid to wear Pink. I can see why he wouldn't get carried away and be going on and on about his ace to the BBC straight after the round and I bet that if he was on Jonathan Ross or something he'd be totally different. But I do get fed up with golfers who don't let the personality come through and go through the motions when interviewed. Yes your trying to win, yes it must be tough but you could be sat on the Golf Monthly forum dreaming so [****] cheer up! I always loved Mark O'Meara for really taking an interest in the interviewer and being polite and making an effort. Tiger copes tremendously well and is usually very listenable. Ofcourse Monty is unsurpassed for his givingness (is that a word Ben?) on camera but you think to the old days when Mark James, Faldo, Torrance and them - lot more laid back for the press but nowadys tour pro is not so much. Sad really. And don't get me started on footballers again.

T

thecraw

Poulter is a tit of the highest order. He didnt even hit the 8 iron sweet and he claims it was a pure strike. As soon as he hit it he was shouting go, not the actions of a man who has just hit a pure golf shot!!!

Hope he misses the cut, hes just an arrogant fool who believes his own hype. Average player with a big ego thats all he is.

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
thecraw you can hit a sweet shot and shout go?! He may have been between clubs and gone with the lower and was just shouting go after flushing it.

I actually don't like the guy but your bashing him in that manner just smacks of sour grapes. But its your opinion and you're entitled to it :)

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hope he misses the cut, hes just an arrogant fool who believes his own hype. Average player with a big ego thats all he is.

If you consider 24th best golfer in the world on current rankings average, then you must be mighty hard to please.

Wouldn't it be nicer to hope one of your favourites wins rather than this bloke missing the cut?

I'm no big fan of Poulter as he's a bit OTT on the confidence thing, but if that's what he needs to get himself going, then fair enough.

You don't get in the Top 25 being an average golfer - especially if you're not American.

wilf_74

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not overly keen on Poults but to be a regular club pro, never play amateur golf and get in the top 30 in the world counts for something. He is arrogant or focused, whichever way you look at it - but he is English and if you're English you should support him over American's etc. Its the same as following a crap England football team, or cheering on an English team to win the Champions League even if you dont support them. We can rule the waves again!

Lee Westwood to win!!!!

...I will start singing the National anthem shortly!....

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
As you may know I am not Poulters biggest fan as he makes it so difficult to like him, but even I was whooping when he got his ace. Just like Casey (another erse hole) at the Ryder cup I appreciate these moments. These golfing moments make you 4get the knob that swung the club and enjoy the reaction of the fans and other players.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Poulter is a tit of the highest order. He didnt even hit the 8 iron sweet and he claims it was a pure strike. As soon as he hit it he was shouting go, not the actions of a man who has just hit a pure golf shot!!!

How do YOU know how Poulter hit it? You hope he misses the cut? Well, I hope he makes the cut along with the rest of the Brits and Irish. I hope Rose wins but wouldn't be crying in my beer if Poulter did it.

T

thecraw

Hes a complete an utter ***.

Gob as big as the grand canyon, nothing to back it up.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
For a post on Boo Weekely Ian Poulter is getting a lot of attention.

Personally I lov Boo. He just stands there and hits it, picks up his clubs, finds it and hits it again. He isn't afraid to call a spade a digging implement and doesn't take himself too seriously.

I was a fan of Poulter but I have to say I'm finding some of his self publicising a little tiresome nowadays. I think he is becoming a better golfer (into the top 25 worldwide still takes some doing especially with the emergence of talent from India and the Far East).

I cannot believe anyone wouldn't want a British player to do well this week or in any of the majors and saying "hope he misses the cut" smacks of an arrogance and of sour grapes about Poulters ability.

Personally I hope Westwood wins but if not I'll take Rose, Poulter, Casey, Donald, Harrington etc

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Nailed it mate. I think Poulter is fine,remember this is a guy who was selling Mars bars and taking Green Fees. Now through graft and no little talent he is making millions. I couldnt give a s*** what he says or wears good on the boy,enjoy your success!

BTW I still take fearful stick for shouting at my ball when I got a H in 1. Went a bit like this "Oh Bugger...GET DOWN GET DOWN...SIT...OH NO Airmailed it again..F*** its gone in!!!"

I went mental,was a bigger thrill than my first try at The Gnoll.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
And there's me thinking Boo Weekley was a supernatural 7 daily publication!

You learn something new everyday!

A good player.

Oh, and for what it's worth I think Poulter is an over the top golfer of the highest order, he's a bit loose tongued and certainly wears some wacky threads.
He is however an Englishman and proud to be so. Good luck to the guy, I hope he does well.

We should be backing the Brits over there, not slating them!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
For a post on Boo Weekely Ian Poulter is getting a lot of attention.

the posters doth protest too much......

I think there is secretly some love in the air for Ian.

cue music.....

"Oh, oobee doo
I wanna be like Boo (hoo, hoo)
I wanna walk like Boo
Talk like Boo, too
You'll see it's true
An brainless ape like me
Can learn to be like Boo Weekley too"

Arghh, better return to the Priory.....