Bobs Help

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon Bob

I noticed in a post last week you suggested to someone they should try the "sponge Drill" to help a eliminate a slice/fade with the driver. Could you describe this drill or post a link?

I'm suffering from this as well. I'm hitting my irons beautifully at the moment and feel confident with all my irons. Problem is I'm putting myself a lot of trouble of the tee with my driver. If i could hit more fairways I know my score would start dropping.

Ps putting coming along nicely I would say my average has dropped from the 38-40 mark down to around 35. I can see myself improving even more when the greens start improving when spring kicks in.

Big thank you has to go to DaveM who has helped with my chipping around the green - this has actually become a real strength in my game over the last 3 rounds. Thanks to all your help my handicap has been cut by 3 shots in the last month.

Cheers#
Jd

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Jd
The problem most people have who slice is the swingpath is too much out to in and across the ball and when an open clubface is added the ball often starts left and finishes right (right hander).
This is often how it looks

cure12.jpg

So, if a golfer wants to cure a slice, they must improve their swing path AND clubface position at impact.

To do this, I like to place two objects (sponge/headcover etc) in the way of an out to in swing, forcing the golfer to swing more from the inside therefor missing the objects.

Imagine where your swingpath is and place the sponge in the way behind and in front of the ball as below

sponge2.jpg

Now, if you do swing out to in, you will knock the sponge down the range and everyone will have to stop while you retrieve it :eek:

Eventually, you will figure out a way to swing so you dont hit the sponge therefor improving your swingpath. Then all you need to do is square up the clubface at impact then I'm your uncle. :)

This is a video of me showing you how I do it and where I positioned the sponge/headcover.

[video=youtube;KsrovFJ3o9I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsrovFJ3o9I[/video]

You may want to start off with a shorter club and a half swing untill you get the feel of it

Hope this helps

Last edited:

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site
cheers bob for the quick response. Just so I set it up correctly - in relation to my left foot, how far should the cover/obstacle be towards the target/away from my foot? would you place it inline with the outside of my left foot? Does it not really matter. As shown in my primative diagram - art never my strongest subject.

Attachments

• sponge.jpg
    sponge.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 12

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
cheers bob for the quick response. Just so I set it up correctly - in relation to my left foot, how far should the cover/obstacle be towards the target/away from my foot? would you place it inline with the outside of my left foot? Does it not really matter. As shown in my primative diagram - art never my strongest subject.

8-10 inches from the ball and 2-3 inches outside/inside the line
If you have them too far away from the ball, the club could still swing out to in and miss them

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used such a drill and it was a massive eureka moment for me and now means I draw my drives and they are my most reliable shot. I used an upturned range ball basket and placed it on the right corner of the mat. Took a normal swipe at the ball and sent the basket spiralling across the grass. That was it - in that single swing I felt what I was doing wrong and therefore what was the right swing path. I do occasionally repeat the drill to keep myself honest and for a while on the course I'd pinpoint a divot or something to replace the basket just to remind myself where the club should travel...

Works a treat :)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really like that swing Bob. Its how I try to swing, only differance mine is only three quarter backswing. Must say I am going to be spending time watching the vid over and over.