Bob Rotella...

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I like them. Recently read "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect" and currently thumbing through "The Golfer's Mind" which gave me some useful thoughts to help my woeful putting. As Fourputt says, mostly common sense, but as we all know that can be in short supply when we get a club in our hands or when the wheels start falling off on the course.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They are quite good. I think they work very well on a first read as most of it is quite obvious and common sense. But that doesn't really matter on the first read as you think "Oh, that's obvious. Why didn't I think of that?"

After that first read, if you are in need of some inspiration, it seems a bit superficial second time around.

And as for the audiobooks, I just wanted to punch someone having had to listen to that awful patronising voice.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
I am studying sports psychology so I have read them several times. I think Golf of your Dream is the best as it is mostly about the psychology of practice and improvement. Although putting out of your mind and golf is not a game of perfect are very good too.

The problem is that you can't just read them and expect them to work for ever you need to engage with them and put them into practice again and again.

Jaymosafehands

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I am studying sports psychology so I have read them several times. I think Golf of your Dream is the best as it is mostly about the psychology of practice and improvement. Although putting out of your mind and golf is not a game of perfect are very good too.

The problem is that you can't just read them and expect them to work for ever you need to engage with them and put them into practice again and again.

Thanks for the insite. I think having gt a few pages in I need to look at the other ones. Time for amazon I think.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
They take too long to make a simple point, for me.

I much prefer a straight forward golf psychology book

Chris

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I much prefer a straight forward golf psychology book

Any you recommend?

Best one I have is

Mental Management for Great Golf by Dr Bee Epstein-Shepherd

I just looked and it's available on Amazon

Chris

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't be doing with these books. I call all this stuff mumbo-jumbo-witch-doctor-drivel of the highest order.

If some of the people that read this guff were to spend more time getting in some hard work and learning fast rather than shrinking their brains, they might go further.

Psychology is for people at the top or near the top...it's as valid to have a psyc coach as any other coach. For the rest of us? I don't think so. :)

colint

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm with Dave, most of it's BS. Even for people at the top I thinks it's BS. I'm waiting for the influx of snake oil salesman chasing Rory, when what he really needs is a putting coach.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have read most of his books. Most of what is in there is common sense, but well worth a read. IMO, it helped me, if only to stop smashing drivers! :D

Agreed it is mostly common sense but I needed Mr Rotella to point it out for me. Well worth reading to see if it helps

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This might sound an odd recommendation, but before I started playing golf again I read a book called "The inner game of tennis".

I didn't play tennis either, but it really helped for what I did play.
There's a few chapters that are tennis-specific, but most of it can be applied to anything.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't be doing with these books. I call all this stuff mumbo-jumbo-witch-doctor-drivel of the highest order.

If some of the people that read this guff were to spend more time getting in some hard work and learning fast rather than shrinking their brains, they might go further.

Psychology is for people at the top or near the top...it's as valid to have a psyc coach as any other coach. For the rest of us? I don't think so. :)

As for using psychology to hit better shots then I mostly agree with you, but club-chuckers and moaners/whingers should definitely give them a go.

Lipout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Rotella says that you shouldnt think about the technical things when your actually playing, just concentrate on the ball going where you want it to go.
Something tells me he hasn't hit 4 shanks in a row!