Bob Rotella...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Read most of the Rotella books and they do give some good pointers, particularly about getting a pre-shot routine that works for you and sticking with it. However the downside is that most points are repeated in each book and just dressed up under different examples. It is worth reading "putting out of your mind" and maybe one other but I wouldn't get the whole set

Mongoose

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Rotella doesnt play golf, he plays tennis. Easy to wax lyrical about a subject you dont know anything about. Then mugs pay him for his books.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
He does play golf and had done for years. He also worked very closely with Harrington during his run of majors. Some very strong opinions against sport psychology here which surprised me a little. What it does is help understand and ultimately conquer the emotions and actions that occur during sport. I may be taking this personally as it is what I am studying and ultimately what I want to do for a living.

The thing that has to be remembered is that it is not all about inner feelings and failings which I think some people are afraid of facing. It helps with concentration, confidence, mental toughness, imagery, and self belief. All things that can come in handy on the golf course and not just for the pro's.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
This is probably the 5th time Ive recommended his stuff on this forum but to be honest I dont think I can recommend it enough.

I've read 4 of his now (I think...) and in my opinion the best one is "Golf is not a game of Perfect".

In my opinion 99% of the people who read it dont apply the things he talks about (myself included if Im being honest) but if you can be in that 1% who do apply it, it will do wonders for your game.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm with Dave, most of it's BS. Even for people at the top I thinks it's BS. I'm waiting for the influx of snake oil salesman chasing Rory, when what he really needs is a putting coach.

Yeah Rory needs a putting coach... I guess just like Jean Van De Vele needed a swing coach, and Hunter Mahan needs a chipping coach, and every player who has ever blown up when Tiger is in contention just needs a better coach!!

Im not saying that every player should have a mental coach, as a lot of them are as good as they are because they dont need a mental coach! but I dont see how anyone can deny the importance of the mind and controlling it in the game of golf.