Blocks with the driver

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the strongest parts of my game is straight driving. I usually hit a draw and my usual swing with a driver is in to out. Im a bit flat with a bit of a lack of wrist hinge, so have been working on a much more upright take away that is more neutral.

last few rounds ive hit a few blocks and its killing my scores, yesterday only a few over on the 16th and then went 8,7, 7 with all 3 drives going OOB right on each of the last 3 holes which typically are the only 3 holes that this shot is penalised.

any suggestions, will be speaking to my pro about this at some point but he is away on holiday for the next two weeks and i have a big comp next week that is off the blues so you need the driver more than you would off the white.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Without seeing your swing I'm going to have to guess so........

With your new swing you may be rolling your wrists open a touch while you try and swing more upright.
At the top of your backswing, try and make sure your right thumb is pointing in the same direction as your body and not left.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Without seeing your swing I'm going to have to guess so........

With your new swing you may be rolling your wrists open a touch while you try and swing more upright.
At the top of your backswing, try and make sure your right thumb is pointing in the same direction as your body and not left.

Bob when you say the same direction at the body, is that in the turn as in facing the body?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
The more upright your swing plane the LESS out you will be swinging so the ball isn't going to draw back so easily... that being the case the next thing you need to address is the clubface... it needs to point less to the right otherwise you're going to hit it to the right and it won't come back. Possibly a slight strengthening of your grip... one hand or the other, or both.