'Blocking' the ball right

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Over the last month or two I've started to find I'm sending the ball off right a lot. It's not slicing, it's a complete mis-directed shot. I'm setting up right, and using a face saver at the range I can see the ball is coming out of the club in the right place, not off the hosel. The shot is usually nice - just 50 yards right of the target.

Any ideas why this might be happening? It's happening on most clubs, including driver. I had a bad game Saturday and this was a big part of it.

Thanks,

Adam

talksalot81

Club Champion
Visit site
Hard to know without more info. Are you trying anything? You are failing to get the club squared at impact, so have you been working on the backswing such that you might be open at the top (maybe even fanning it open and being laid off)? Or have you been trying to move weight forwards on the way down and getting way ahead of it (probably also means you would be steep).

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not trying anything as such. Normally creeps into my swing 2/3 holes in. Not trying to transfer weight forward, when you say open at the top, what do you mean?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As its straight right you are probably swinging out right with a clubface square to the swingpath.

There are many reasons why you may be doing this: poor alignment, sliding the lower body in the downswing, swinging too much in to out, fast hips that get your right elbow stuck behind you. These are just some of the possibilities.

D

Deleted Member 1156

As its straight right you are probably swinging out right with a clubface square to the swingpath.

There are many reasons why you may be doing this: poor alignment, sliding the lower body in the downswing, swinging too much in to out, fast hips that get your right elbow stuck behind you. These are just some of the possibilities.

Along with these, it's also worth checking your ball position. If you are swinging in to out with the ball too far back, your clubface may still be open at the point of contact. Moving it forward slightly gives you a fraction more time to square the face before impact.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I block the ball it's always one of three causes.

Either the ball is too far back or I've stopped turning through impact leaving myself closed (shoulders) sending the ball off to the right.
The last one being my grip being too weak

I'd check your grip, then the ball position isn't far back. Then work through your swing from there.