BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Well for a start they protests shouldn't have been allowed to go ahead.

Firstly I'll say that in normal. Times they should have gone ahead and that those rioting are clearly not those following the movement for genuine reasons.

But how on earth they could have expected people to stick to social distancing is beyond me.

We've had strict rules for everyone to follow but imo the powers that be feared looking racist if they refused it.

D

Deleted member 15344

As happened with the Tottenham rights there will always be those elements in society that will use it to cause unrest and it then ends up masking the important message that was the cause of the protest in the first place.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site

Firstly I'll say that in normal. Times they should have gone ahead and that those rioting are clearly not those following the movement for genuine reasons.

But how on earth they could have expected people to stick to social distancing is beyond me.

We've had strict rules for everyone to follow but imo the powers that be feared looking racist if they refused it.
Don’t disagree re allowing them to go ahead in the current situation. Not sure how you stop it

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well the simple thing would simply be quicker and stricter dispersal of crowds at the start. of course the bad press from that would have caused more political damage.
Yep. Might prove a problem practically. Not sure the COVID act had mass protest in mind. Maybe the thinking was the threat of death would be enough ?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

I agree with you and will add I heard one of the organizers Saying that they would ask protesters to social distance and also self isolate for 7 days after the protest

Totally irresponsible

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s another very hard emotive subject that I believe 99% of us have never had to face - persecution and hatred based on the colour of our skin

The message that they are trying to put out is the right message - racism and persecution will always need to be tackled

The problem is two things - the minority that are rioting and also the current pandemic

Racism has been around for centuries and we as a society should tackle it every day , some of the stuff I have seen on social media from “white privileged “ people has been shocking and a few were removed as friends this week , it’s poor to see.

But the pandemic is still here , it hasn’t gone away so it’s a very hard morale choice for people

I’m fully supportive of the message they are saying and I would hope everyone is - as we haven’t been in the shoes of someone who has faced racism and persecution it’s very very hard to judge if it can wait until the pandemic goes - especially when the movement is strong right now

I really hope we don’t have issues with the virus and I hope their message strikes a cord with us all

Joshua has is right - racism is a pandemic that has never gone away

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/52950772

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s another very hard emotive subject that I believe 99% of us have never had to face - persecution and hatred based on the colour of our skin

The message that they are trying to put out is the right message - racism and persecution will always need to be tackled

The problem is two things - the minority that are rioting and also the current pandemic

Racism has been around for centuries and we as a society should tackle it every day , some of the stuff I have seen on social media from “white privileged “ people has been shocking and a few were removed as friends this week , it’s poor to see.

But the pandemic is still here , it hasn’t gone away so it’s a very hard morale choice for people

I’m fully supportive of the message they are saying and I would hope everyone is - as we haven’t been in the shoes of someone who has faced racism and persecution it’s very very hard to judge if it can wait until the pandemic goes - especially when the movement is strong right now

I really hope we don’t have issues with the virus and I hope their message strikes a cord with us all

Joshua has is right - racism is a pandemic that has never gone away

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/52950772

totally agree Phil on the racism issue that has always been a scourge. The only positive is that we live in a society that enables protest and change - and that, despite still being far from acceptable, has moved a great deal in the right direction over the past 70 years - but this progress needs to continue

But the scathing criticism of the rioters, looters, anarchists is another seperate point, and that needs condeming in the same way as the racism. Both two abhorent sides to civil society

The third point is the social distancing and mess that this could cause to the progress we have made - and highlights that teh government can only do so much in contrlong the virus and that we all take responsibility

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Stay home save life’s.
When we see covid cases rise we’ll just blame the government ?‍♂️

And did Joshua really say to only shop in Black owned shops??

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why could it not just wait? One thing at a time... multi tasking just means doing multiple jobs poorly.
Covid 19 needs sorting out, then let’s address these issues. Sorry if that is not what you want to read, it’s just pragmatic and a sensible non emotional response.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I was going to say that I can’t believe the tweet from Dawn “nodding dog” Butler but then I remembered the woman is a cretin and has to blame the government

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I was going to say that I can’t believe the tweet from Dawn “nodding dog” Butler but then I remembered the woman is a cretin and has to blame the government

Was that the one saying to the government
“ don’t you dare blame the protesters if there is a second Covid spike”

Of course it’s not their fault ......doh ??

D

Deleted member 15344

Why could it not just wait? One thing at a time... multi tasking just means doing multiple jobs poorly.
Covid 19 needs sorting out, then let’s address these issues. Sorry if that is not what you want to read, it’s just pragmatic and a sensible non emotional response.

That’s the emotive issue - it’s fine for us to say “why not wait to fight racism” when we haven’t faced it and for some they may see it as a bigger battle to fight than the Covid Pandemic - it’s very hard for us to judge.

It’s clearly a very powerful message right now when you look at the worldwide protests and it’s got to be a case of striking when the iron is hot

Racism will still be there and will still need to be tackled every day once the pandemic goes but the impact of the protests or marches etc could be significantly less and forgotten.

These marches are aimed towards us as well to help , to be a part of tackling this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.