Blades vs GI Irons

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is it really that much harder to play with blades vs GI irons e.g. the new Mizuno MP-4's vs JPX825 Pro?

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm just curious as when I was a wee boy learning to play at first, there was no such thing as GI irons so I played with a half set of mixed blades.

Now, all of these years later and with all the Technology kicking around, ordinary every day golfers are still struggling with the same issues they've always had. So I'm just curious why blades are now a complete no-no unless you are a scratch golfer or very close to it.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't find it any more difficult to hit blades well from the fairway or semi.

Elsewhere on the course, more forgiving irons have a distinct advantage when the rough gets thisk or juicy!

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
Ive just switched back to blades. Definitely not as forgiving but they fly the way I want them to. Even blades are more forgiving now though,there's no reason anyone shouldn't be able to hit them, other than marketing. My handicap has gone up since switching to "more forgiving" irons! Horses for courses

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
the difference between the two is hugely overrated in my experience. a bad swing with a gi iron will still produce a bad shot, they are certainly no cure all for a ropey swing.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Borrowed a set of GI clubs when I came down to visit me old man a couple of years ago and didn't bring my clubs with me - I couldn't hit the damn things, give me the butterknives any day!

woosey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
interesting thread, i'm currently playing with some 708 AP2s with PX5.5s, and the amount of launch i get is silly, it's knocking 10 - 15% off my distances compared with my MP33's with DG S300's. How much is shaft i don't know, but the MPs launch like a missile!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love my John Letters F-7 blades. Catch the ball right and it just rockets away beautifully...but I'll add I've played blades from the word go so no I've no idea what a a well struck ball using a GI club feels like.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will probably be a 50/50 split on this one...... Pro's and Cons to each.....Or marketing would have you believe....
I play Wilson Staff Fg Tour Irons.....Although not a Blade in the true sense of the word but they will let you know when you aint hitting the sweet spot.....
Iv tried a lot of different category clubs but iv settled on these.... I had them off a 21 handicap and thought they were too much for me....Club Hoing and all that.......Went through about 4 sets of GI Clubs and just couldnt get used to the size of them......
I like a small clubhead behind the ball......Im more of a traditionalist in that sense but im only playing the game 5 years.....

The way i see it is this..... Iron choice is obviously a matter of personal preference....But i think that its more down to what you want...For me i think that Blades or Tour Irons are the true game improvement clubs...... Like has been said above if your not swinging right then i dont think any club will be of use...... If your able to find the sweet spot ( or centre ) of a players iron at least on 75% of shots then in time you will learn to hit that club properly...... I find that you need to focus more with a smaller headed iron.....
You could have a low handicap player who wants a higher ball flight that might benefit with a GI Club.... You might have a high handicap player who is strong and has a fast swing speed that might do better with Blades or more of a tour style iron.....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will probably be a 50/50 split on this one...... Pro's and Cons to each.....Or marketing would have you believe....
I play Wilson Staff Fg Tour Irons.....Although not a Blade in the true sense of the word ............

They are a GI club, in the same way as the entire Ping range and 95%+ of the clubs on the market.....

Yes there are degrees of GI, but why people have such a problem with admitting to playing a GI clubhead rather than a blade still confuses me. Blades no longer dominate the Tour either, and haven't done for about 5 years. As with the manufacturers ability to engineer a golf ball to perform over a range of chareteristics, there are clubheads that help a little here and there without sacrificing underlying workability in the right hands.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are a GI club, in the same way as the entire Ping range and 95%+ of the clubs on the market.....

Yes there are degrees of GI, but why people have such a problem with admitting to playing a GI clubhead rather than a blade still confuses me. Blades no longer dominate the Tour either, and haven't done for about 5 years. As with the manufacturers ability to engineer a golf ball to perform over a range of chareteristics, there are clubheads that help a little here and there without sacrificing underlying workability in the right hands.

Completely agree Duncan....... Mine have little to no offset but there is help in that they have a shallow cavity....... If i miss near the toe then im 15 mtrs short of where i wanted it but still in play...... Miss off the toe of a larger club and it'll probably still travel the required distance.....
I dont have a particular issue with playing a GI club....The only thing i like is a smaller head.....Which for the most part are in more players type clubs.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't like a large or over size head on my irons or fairways however wanting to progress from GI irons I decided I was going to by some Nike TW blades which were on sale in my local pro shop. They had a demonstrator 7 iron and I asked if I could take it on the course.

To put it bluntly it looked superb sat in the bag and behind the ball but the reality of it is that I lost distance, lost consistency and didn't get away with miss hits especially on the longer irons. The accuracy on a good shot was great however it wasn't significantly better than using a good game improvement iron.

I now use a set of Ping i15's and couldn't be happier with them as feedback and accuracy are exceptional. They also look good to my eye. Westwood uses the i20's which are marginally more forgiving so if players of his ability can se see the benefit that's all the recommendation required.