Biggest/Most common faults in golf swing

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
One for the experts, coach etc but anyone welcome to comment.
I've been working on my swing for 18 months since reading Jim Hardy's "Plane Truth" and am a 1 plane swinger. I've made a lot of progress although handicap has gone up this year by 1, not helped by injury, my ball striking has improved massively as well as my understanding.
So without posting just yet, what would you say are the most common mistakes you see in people's golf swings ?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me, grip.

The most over looked part of the golf swing in my view. People often forget that how their hands sit on the club is their only connection to it.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've had them all so I could list a few :angry::confused::D

Whilst I think there's a huge amount of swing flaws such as grip, stance, takeaway etc etc, I think a huge stumbling block is the brain:

-Not having a clue about impact conditions and the effect of path/face to shot shape and strike
-Swinging the club far too fast
-Not plotting your way around the course properly (course management)
-Reluctance to settle for a bogey
-Tension (arms, shoulders, legs, hands)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The out to in downswing contributing to the pull/slice/duff/sky.

-Not having a clue about impact conditions and the effect of path/face to shot shape and strike

These two. The number of new and experienced golfers who start the downswing by throwing the right shoulder onto the outside is countless. I've also experienced people who have had lots of lessons & don't understand how their shot shape is made by clubface & swingpath.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it is nothing to do with the intricate parts of the swing, most golfers that do not hit the ball well have a bad address position from what I have seen. If you stand up to the ball incorrectly then you are going to struggle to make a good swing. L

how many people on here have had lessons and the first thing the Pro does is gets you into a better address position, I bet most of us and that includes me. Last time I had a lesson all we did was spend an hour sorting out my address position, since then I have been hitting the ball a hell of a lot more consistent.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Poor alignment and poor address is what stands out to me. Followed by all sorts of weird stuff, trying to compensate for aiming miles away from the target line, probably with the ball too far back in the stance. I'm with Adey, get the basics right. Then worry about the rest.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My grip gets lax and this leads to a takeaway that's too inside, from here I either throw at the top to try and get back on plane and result in a weak high fade or I get a case or the shanks.

It's always caused by strong grip, inside takeaway.

Really wished I had taken lessons at the start of my golfing journey in order to get the basics right....

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
initial problems from get go nearly always start with a slightly skewed concept of what a golf motion really is, what impact really is. folks who start the game have always seen a few golf swings. what's immediately noticeable to a new starter in looking at a golf swing is that the arms & club swing up & swing down with some speed with seemingly nothing much else happening.

so they have a concept that the speed, the power is produced by the arms hands & club, they also with this, have a concept of a 'hit' so the destination of the clubhead is only to the ball ..... what happens after & why it does is not usually thought about over much, kinda gets tagged on as an afterthought.

so this above is instinct, it's not dissected as above, but it is what goes on. this arms, hands, club hit instinct just engages the upper body, the shoulders in a hit ..... to the ball.

all this governs then the way the handle is picked up for the first time & held, often right hand strong so turned very much clockwise on the handle & it being mostly in the palm along with quite often a weak left hand, this hand turned very much counterclockwise on the handle

how the club is held, plus the persons swing concept, the intent to hit to the ball, all this responsible then for the stance, ball position & the posture that adopted. this then often means the upper body doesn't line up as it should with the lower body. so even before the club moves, everything is already a ways off from how it all should be.

all of which means then from the moment it first moves the club goes back wrongly in a variety of ways, but then often returns with the upper body arms & hands dominating from the moment they move down first & with all the compensations needed to get club on the ball usually means that's never going to work out too well, so is responsible for a number of disappointing different shot outcomes.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everyone is going on about the Technical aspects of the swing and everything being said is spot on. But how often have you stood on the first tee looking at someone with driver in hand, a week grip, aiming to the left, with the ball back in his stance. Doesn't matter how technically sound the swing is from there, it is going high and to the right.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Everyone is going on about the Technical aspects of the swing and everything being said is spot on. But how often have you stood on the first tee looking at someone with driver in hand, a week grip, aiming to the left, with the ball back in his stance. Doesn't matter how technically sound the swing is from there, it is going high and to the right.

Address is the one place you can look as good as a pro. Not a bad way to start, either.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The over the top swing for me. I've been working on it for a while now. Although I may have a swing thought to fix it. Well I hope so need to getbto the course to try it out.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Address is the one place you can look as good as a pro. Not a bad way to start, either.

being in the right place before you start to swing only makes you swing better. I had a lesson because I was struggling with a flat backswing, with a Furyk loop at the top to get into position for the downswing and could not get rid of it. First thing he did was to change my posture and get me stood closer to the ball. He did not need to change my swing really, apart from a little tweet as getting into a better address position automatically made me start swinging more upright.

D

Deleted Member 1156

This must be the easiest question to answer ever posted on here.

Trying to hit the ball too hard!!

D

Deleted member 15344

This must be the easiest question to answer ever posted on here.

Trying to hit the ball too hard!!

That's the exact answer for me

Every time I see a shot go wrong a lot of times it's because the player is trying to hit too hard

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My biggest problems are alignment (I do tend to stand closed in relation to where I "should" be aiming) and an overzealous right shoulder every now and again. I try to kid myself that duck hooks are a thing of beauty.....