Big changes through a slightly tighter grip

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I played today and have noticed that my right hadn't been gripping the club so there was a fair bit of play at the grip end.

I thought I'd give a go of having a more secure grip with my right hand, but not changing my left hand pressure. Not sure if it was placebo effect but I got an extra few yards (9 iron usually goes 125, with firmer right hand 140 yards, 3W usually 210 yard with firmer grip 230 yards)

The other thing I noticed was that my shots were closer to my target line and I felt like I connected better with the ball. Also I felt like through the ball I had better extension.

Now.........Is all that apart from the yardages in my head, or is the grip pressure with the right (lower) hand just as important as with the left hand.

BTW I'm left handed, but play right handed.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've found a tighter grip works for me.

I read loads of advice that recommends light pressure - the proverbial 'holding a small bird' attributed to Monty; but it didn't work for me on the course.

Foliage Finder

Head Pro
Visit site
My right hand seems to work with a very light grip, someone commented on it in a previous round as it looked as if I almost had the club in my fingertips at the top of the backswing. If I tighten it any, I tend to struggle with direction/club face control.

Might be to do with having a baseball grip, may have less of an effect if I interlocked or used a Vardon.