Better than Texas scramble?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So as not to hijack the thread on the Rules thread. We have fairly regular team comps as they bring quite good revenue to the club, but as often said, the low handicappers pretty much always win. Yes, picking low medium and high handicappers would help but at my place most would not enter If they couldn't play with their mates.

We've tried various other comps but most if them don't involve all 4 players being able to score on every hole and they aren't so interesting imo. Last weekend we had an American Foursomes team comp and finally mid handicappers were able to post good scores as well as low and high and the best team on the day won.

So the format for anyone not knowing was. Teams of 4 players, playing as 2 pairs on half combined handicap betterball Stableford, both pair scores added together as a team. Both players in each pair tee off, partners then play each other's ball, then decide which ball to continue with and alternate to finish the hole with the one ball.

I really enjoyed it and it was pretty quick too. Any other games that your club does that works?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Texas scramble works at ours, but unlike most places the low guys dont automatically win. We won it once with 6,10,20 and 24 :)

Also for one of the 2 TS comps, they do it as a Zodiac comp so you sign up by star sign which tends to ensure a spread of handicaps

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Our men’s section don’t do team games, the seniors and ladies do. As far as “fun” comps, we have a three club challenge and staff vs members. Rest are medals wed, sat sun.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have an event each year where you do teams of 4, and you play 6 holes 4BBB, 6 holes greensomes and 6 holes Texas scramble. You play in pairs amongst your 4, and change partner after each 6 holes, so everyone play with everyone for 6 holes. Even the Texas scramble is pairs.

You effecitviely have 2 scores for each hole.

Brilliant fun fun and quite tactical too

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
We have an event each year where you do teams of 4, and you play 6 holes 4BBB, 6 holes greensomes and 6 holes Texas scramble. You play in pairs amongst your 4, and change partner after each 6 holes, so everyone play with everyone for 6 holes. Even the Texas scramble is pairs.

You effecitviely have 2 scores for each hole.

Brilliant fun fun and quite tactical too

Sounds interesting, golf with A levels 😁

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
One of my favourite winter comps that's reasonably quick and well liked by members; Canadian Greensomes. Both tee off, then you hit your partner's ball and he hits your ball, then you choose which ball to finish the hole with.

A lot of golfers baulk at the idea of greensomes, including me, but Canadian Greensomes just gives each player a bit more golf, and in winter time with restricted light and cold temps it is a relatively quick format.

Last edited:

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of my favourite winter comps that's reasonably quick and well liked by members; Canadian Greensomes. Both tee off, then you hit your partner's ball and he hits your ball, then you choose which ball to finish the hole with.

A lot of golfers baulk at the idea of greensomes, including me, but Canadian Greensomes just gives each player a bit more golf, and in winter time with restricted light and cold temps it is a relatively quick format.

Hobbit the sun must have gone to your head. Is this not the same format as the OP describes. Also is not the Canadian format, you both drive then both play your own ball for the 2nd shot and then pick the single ball to continue the hole.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good format ive played lately . Straight scramble . Team of 4 . Twist is u enter in pairs and an open draw for ur partners . Saves stacked teams and should introduce u to other members

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Players wanting to play with their mates is mentioned earlier in the thread. For me the whole point of these fun comps is to mix with players you don't know and sometimes to team up with new members who are finding their feet. I can play with my mates any time I like. You never know a stranger might just metamorphose into a mate.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hobbit the sun must have gone to your head. Is this not the same format as the OP describes. Also is not the Canadian format, you both drive then both play your own ball for the 2nd shot and then pick the single ball to continue the hole.
At our place they call that Bluesomes, but I think someone just made it up

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
We played a game supposedly called Russian stableford once, in pairs, ordinary stableford until you get to the scoring. Scores for both partners are multiplied together, so if you both score 2, 2x2 =4, if one gets a 1 the other 3 it’s 3 but if one gets a 4 pointer and his mate gets 0 it’s 0 points.