Best way to check my yardages?

A

Alex1975

Hi all,

Is the best way (without the use of a radar)to check my yardages to simply have a buddy stand out on the practice ground and hit balls to where he can see the carry. Then when there is a consistent paten check the yardage with a GPS?

Is there a better way that is simple?

Thanks

Al

Oh PS: Use a mat for consistency or the roughish ground on the range?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Take your own mini roller and lawn mower - that'll do the job!

Probably not an easier way - except......

Find a hole that isn't busy, set yourself up with a dozen balls and hit to the green. That way you'll have pitchmarks - assuming you hit it :D - to work with.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Once in a while, I take a 7 iron down to the practice ground and hit 2 dozen or so at the 150 marker. I go up there, take away the stray ones left or right and then the longest/shortest few.
That normally leaves about a dozen in a small area. I could then "mark" the balls with skycaddie and walk back to where I've hit them from, but I don't need to, our 150 is accurate.
Last time I did it, they were a yard or two under 150. There were some much further, buy, hey...can't middle them all. :D

I do 11 yards either side. 148 7 iron, 137 8 iron, 126 9 iron and so on. I guess that makes my 4 iron 181..:D

If I could hit the ball straighter, I might do every club, but I'm rarely out for distance.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
you copying my distances Dave, 7 iron is my 150 club ;)

I do 10 yards either side and it works out about right, obviously theres the odd shot on course I hit pure that goes further and vice versa

now hybrids I aint got a clue, I just hit em and hope they are there or therabouts :)

A

Alex1975

Yep, not interested in power, I have just been using the GPS again and found that I have not been hitting the yardages that I thought I could so I just want the facts really.

Thanks all

MarkA

Head Pro
Visit site
I did a similar thing on the range recently when I got my new Driver and found I was 20 yards shorter than i thought with an average of 250 yards. Funny thing is there a bunch of lads that play at our place who pride themselves as long drivers who were practicing at the time - none of them were outdriving me. This distance obsession thing is crazy- theres not many club players who consistently drive a confirmed 280 yards plus but all you hear in the club house is about the 300 yard plus Drive on the third into the wind.
Ask people what they hit theior 7 iron nobody knows - Crazy

I tend to find PW 110 9 125 8 140 7 165 6 175 5 185 4 195
ish -

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know teh original post said no radar, but it really is the way to go. Find a driving range with Trackman....it's life changing
Accurate distance, carry distance & variance off the straight line.
Totally improved my approach play last year once I was equipped with accurate distances rather that guesstimates.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trackman is the most awesome thing ever.

If they weren't £35k per unit, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

I long to find a local range that has Trackman.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not much help to you but the place I go for lessons has an option to hire the room and trackman for €15 for a half hour and they will give you a print out of your yardages.

A

Alex1975

Not much help to you but the place I go for lessons has an option to hire the room and trackman for €15 for a half hour and they will give you a print out of your yardages.

I would love that!