Best value brand relative to performance?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All the 2020 gear will be great value... just wait till about 10 minutes after the 2021 replacement is launched... Bargain city!

If cheap irons are not fitted for you they won't be a bargain.
Best to get fitted, even if it means extra outlay you are likely to play better and have them for longer.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I can see why you agree by your sig (y)

I upgraded from Z745's to a split set of ZX5 in 4/5 iron and ZX7 6-PW mainly due to wanting a change of shaft and they are superb.
You are right, I didn't know how good they are until this week.

I bought them new in October but didn't get to use them much due to LD2 and the weather. During LD3 boredom/stupidity kicked in, and I bought a brand new set of Callaway 2018 Apex mb. Now these are serious good irons, absolutely stunning and very playable for a blade, but during play I felt as if I was leaving a little bit on the table, so I went back to the Z785 and discovered that I was correct.

The Apex are reluctantly going on eBay and the Srixons stay in the bag.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
As for best bang for buck irons and wedges I have to agree with all of those saying Wilson Staff. I've owned the FG 62, very unforgiving. The FG V2 which were brilliant irons, the FG V4 which I thought they spoilt with the tungsten in the sole and the Staff Model blades which were up there with the very best.

I always wanted to try the FG V6 as I understood that they were the very best of the FG V models, but it won't happen.

I've also owned a few of their wedges and found them to be as good as anything else I've ever owned and better than quite a few.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
If cheap irons are not fitted for you they won't be a bargain.
Best to get fitted, even if it means extra outlay you are likely to play better and have them for longer.

Sorry, quoting you but a general question- is anyone aware of a single piece of independent research proving that custom fitting has long-term benefits to scores across handicap levels? Keen to read some of this.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sorry, quoting you but a general question- is anyone aware of a single piece of independent research proving that custom fitting has long-term benefits to scores across handicap levels? Keen to read some of this.

I don't have any stats but going for fittings it is clear that different shafts make a reasonable change to the results you achieve in terms of spin, flight, dispersion etc.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
KenL, what you say is perfectly true and the reason to go for fitting.
Virtuocity asked about any "long term benefits". Any data on this would be unreliable, in my view. During any long-term data collection some players might make improvements to their set-up, grip, swing plane etc causing the "fit" to be no longer suitable or make changes to their swing in line with minor injuries, physical niggles and age.
The fitting can be made only in accordance to your set-up and swing on the day. You could go for yearly check-ups if you so desire.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
KenL, what you say is perfectly true and the reason to go for fitting.
Virtuocity asked about any "long term benefits". Any data on this would be unreliable, in my view. During any long-term data collection some players might make improvements to their set-up, grip, swing plane etc causing the "fit" to be no longer suitable or make changes to their swing in line with minor injuries, physical niggles and age.
The fitting can be made only in accordance to your set-up and swing on the day. You could go for yearly check-ups if you so desire.

What about immediate and short term improvements then? It’s a bit frustrating that there are no empirical studies into this- mainstream manufacturers could really hurt the 2nd hand market if they had data quantifying the impact of custom fitting. It’s not even hard to do. Again, just a point, not directed at anyone.
However, more directly, you say that you agree with KenL’s point (that custom fitting by affects ‘the numbers’ and therefore we should advocate for custom fitting), but then say that the benefits of such a process might be negated from day to day. I can’t aggregate this...

Voyager EMH

Visit site
What about immediate and short term improvements then? It’s a bit frustrating that there are no empirical studies into this- mainstream manufacturers could really hurt the 2nd hand market if they had data quantifying the impact of custom fitting. It’s not even hard to do. Again, just a point, not directed at anyone.
However, more directly, you say that you agree with KenL’s point (that custom fitting by affects ‘the numbers’ and therefore we should advocate for custom fitting), but then say that the benefits of such a process might be negated from day to day. I can’t aggregate this...
Not everyone is the same or at the same stage of their golfing life. So how would we compare data of players who could be likely to improve over the next few years with players who are maybe at the peak of their game and merely maintaining a standard? Some players (me) may be advancing in years and face a slowing of the swing as the forthcoming years go by.
But you pose a very interesting question and something that would be a challenge for manufacturers and fitters. How to prove with data and statistics that the fitting process produces a lasting benefit? Setting out the hypothesis before data collection would be the first step. That would be an exercise of a few years in the first instance.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
So how would we compare data of players who could be likely to improve over the next few years with players who are maybe at the peak of their game and merely maintaining a standard?

With a large sample.

Setting out the hypothesis before data collection would be the first step. That would be an exercise of a few years in the first instance.

Null hypothesis is an easy one, and yes, it would need to be a longitudinal study. It would cost a few quid, but this would be nothing to mainstream providers if they were confident about the outcome pointing towards a likelihood of immediate and/or sustained improvements in golfers' performance. Anyway, I'll stop droning on about this until the next custom fitting discussion crops up. :)

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Its not droning as far as I am concerned, you have really got me thinking. I've always viewed custom fitting as "fitting the clubs to the player". I don't think it is a myth or quackery, but extending the effect of fitting beyond the day of the fitting is an area that I don't believe has been looked at, as you have speculated. "Long or medium term benefits" might be something manufacturers would prefer to shy away from. I'm sure they would prefer us all to buy a brand new set every three years.
I've just acquired a set of Slazenger Jack Nicklaus clubs from the 1970s. (Vintage Golf thread). I've had a few swings in the garden and I have realised that I will need to fit my set-up and swing to the clubs. This is what we all did for decades. We bought a set because we liked the look and feel of them. Then we had to learn to play with them. This often meant adapting ourselves to the clubs not adapting the clubs to ourselves.