Best Municipal in the country?

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I might head south just for a moment, Rookwood in Horsham, Sussex is one of those munis that would probably do very well if it converted to a member's club as it's better than most courses in the area.

Don't know how much it is, and my thinking may be flavoured by it being the first full length course I broke 70 on. That was on my first visit and I vowed never to go back - but purely so I could get to the end of my life and say to my great grandchildren, "I beat that course!"

I know... they wouldn't be interested, and I have in fact gone back only once on my Stag Do where I struggled to break 80 of course.

Anyway, highly recommended despite its proximity to the main A24

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I might head south just for a moment, Rookwood in Horsham, Sussex.
Anyway, highly recommended despite its proximity to the main A24

Blimey, they built this at the bottom of my garden (from when I was a nipper!!) - I checked it out last time I went to see Granny....looked OK.....good steer!!

Dave

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anyone know if Hollingbury in Brighton is a muni and what it's like. Looks cheap on the web but who knows how old the prices are.

I'd like to play it for nostalgias sake. I was born almost on its doorstep and it was the scene of many childhood adventures - some involving golf after a fashion. (Golf wasn't for the peasantry then)

From memory (old and rusted now) it's got quite a few steep bits and loads of gorse.

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
Braid hills is fantastic but Troon Muni, both the Darley and Loch Green courses is a belter, a really fantastic test of links golf. I think the fee has gone up, but still around £20-25. Play it if you can.

gor_don01

Visit site
Braid hills is fantastic but Troon Muni, both the Darley and Loch Green courses is a belter, a really fantastic test of links golf. I think the fee has gone up, but still around £20-25. Play it if you can.

i agree troon muni very good played them both many times but many years ago

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
I have to agree with viscount17 and say Thorpe wood in peterborough is a fantastic muni.Iplaye dit for the 1st time last winter when most courses were very very wet,and even though the river nene runs along side it there were only 2 holes which you could say were a problem due to heavy going.I have played it several times since and its always in tip top condition in every apsect.The staff are always very welcoming and helpful.Green fees are good.All in all you get a great day out for very little money.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thorpe Wood - played it Saturday. £19 a round and a buggy for £16.
The course is in terrific shape and the greens are really well maintained. Signage could be a touch better as could the planning of buggy routes in a couple of places.
Last time out (at Aldwickbury) I beat my mate, this time I couldn't hit a barn door from the inside - real shame as the course deserved better (winter lessons are now booked!)
Got a buggy which may have been a mistake. It offers a totally different perspective on a round, casual and comfortable but you lose all feel for the course; you find that you get need to get out and walk at times.
This course has gone into our book as a definite to replay. Good recommend GB72 - thanks mate.