Best irons for around £500-600?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I bought full set of one length cobra speedzone as I struggled with irons thinking they would help. I did not like them at all..
After reading up and watching reviews I decided an older set of pings may help.
Transformation is unbelievable really

I tried the 1 lengths thinking they'd be the answer, but all I got was a flat flight on the lower clubs and ballooning uncontrollable spin on the high lofts. Gave it a wide berth not for me.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Do you know of a way to try these before you buy? I know you can return them but that just seems a waste.

He has a no quibble returns policy.

I got the Driver he 1st released last year under the brand Old Tom. It was a bit of a flier, I'll admit, but was only £135 to pre-order.

Driver is great. It's good quality and I like the styling. I'd say quality is as good as anything you are getting from the main manufacturers.

Personal view is you are paying for marketing and sponsorship with the main manufacturers, as much as the actual clubs or even design work. Golf clubs have changed very little in the past 10 years and there is a huge (price) gap in the market for a direct to consumer brand to get stuff from the same factories in China and sell at far more realistic profit margins.

eddie_1878

Visit site
So...had a fitting at AG- true to the same form I take to the driving range, I wasn’t hitting it at all well, making it almost impossible to judge what I needed!

Going by my height and wrist to floor measurements, the chart said I was ok for a standard shaft length. Being 5’8 I was fairly surprised by this. The only adjustment the salesman suggested was MAYBE a 1 degree flatter lie, but he didn’t seem convinced it was a necessity. Credit to him he said there’s no point buying anything they could offer as manufacturers are in between models.

Given the above info I eventually bought a standard set of M6’s (5-PW) for £420. They didn’t get a bad review and were well below budget so it seemed like a no-brainier.

They’re here and are long! Of the countless reviews I read, most of them harped on about the loft varying from ‘normal’. Nobody mentioned the shaft length of the 7 iron was 37.5”, which I believe is the comparable to the average 5 iron!

Will gripping down an inch on the club have a big negative effect on yardage, or anything else for that matter? If so it looks like I’ll have to have to start playing in a pair of platforms.

Steviefella

Visit site
Titleist T300, 5 - PW can be had new and custom build for around the 600 pound mark. Nice and forgiving, go the distance with good height and can be easier to predict length than some others I’ve tried.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
So...had a fitting at AG- true to the same form I take to the driving range, I wasn’t hitting it at all well, making it almost impossible to judge what I needed!

Going by my height and wrist to floor measurements, the chart said I was ok for a standard shaft length. Being 5’8 I was fairly surprised by this. The only adjustment the salesman suggested was MAYBE a 1 degree flatter lie, but he didn’t seem convinced it was a necessity. Credit to him he said there’s no point buying anything they could offer as manufacturers are in between models.

Given the above info I eventually bought a standard set of M6’s (5-PW) for £420. They didn’t get a bad review and were well below budget so it seemed like a no-brainier.

They’re here and are long! Of the countless reviews I read, most of them harped on about the loft varying from ‘normal’. Nobody mentioned the shaft length of the 7 iron was 37.5”, which I believe is the comparable to the average 5 iron!

Will gripping down an inch on the club have a big negative effect on yardage, or anything else for that matter? If so it looks like I’ll have to have to start playing in a pair of platforms.
To be fair if after "retro" lengths & lofts then were probably looking at the wrong model.
Here's the specs of a similar models
https://eu.ping.com/en-gb/clubs/irons/g410
https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/iron-sets/irons-2020-mavrik.html#product-specs

TM tend to push the extremes.
It does tend to depend on your baseline- @Crow will probably be along soon to show it's equivalent to a 1950s 3 iron!?
Flippant answer is stick a label with a 6 or 5 on it to the bottom of your 7 iron ?
Bottom line is can you play with them or not.

Last edited:

eddie_1878

Visit site
Bottom line now you've got them is to learn how to play with them and in particular how far you hit them (especially as TM are one for cranking lofts). I guess that'll come once ranges and courses are open again

Aye, I’ve ordered a few bits to ramp up the home setup for the next month +, so I’ll be able to work on strike atleast.

I managed to squeeze in a range session before it closed and I didn’t hit them well, thankfully I wasn’t hitting my old irons well at the range in the 2-3 visits prior to that so I don’t think it’s the clubs!