Best GPS Watch for Short Game?

Mandofred

Visit site
Why? Shows a worrying absence of "feel" in someone's game.

This needs developing for when you have shots in different weather conditions, slopes and lies.

You can play without it, if course.
I look at it differently. If I am out practicing and hitting some chips to a 20yd marker, I think I am developing my feel for the game/swing. It's been a couple years ago, but I noticed our pro out on the field the same time as I was.....he had paced out some markers that he put in the ground at various fairly short distances. There has always been a tendency (in my opinion) for golfers not to accept anything different that someone does. There is not one way of doing most things....it used to be you wouldn't see pro's putting with "strange" grips (both grip size and hand position)....it wasn't "how it was done"......now, if it works for them they do it. If someone wants to laser a putt...why not? If I thought it would help me putt better, I'd do it....and ignore other peoples reactions.

Yesterday I tried to hit a shot up onto a bank next to the green with the plan it would roll back off and on to the green....I hit it about a foot too hard and it stayed at the top (another foot and it's in sand). I had to stand there with one foot way below the other one and had to choke down the shaft until my hand was almost off the grip....and then hit an absolute beauty of an open faced flop shot that traveled less than 20 feet sideways (and about 8 feet down). Couple feet from the hole.....I occasionally practice short flops....granted, they don't normally work that well. My point.....there is no difference between learning to hit a shot 10yds with or without a laser....you still have to learn how to hit it. If you feel more comfortable using a laser as well, go for it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weird to object to people measuring 30 yards. Where is the cut off where it's alright? 40? 50? I tend to check the yardage for anything that isn't right by the green. Only on my GPS app so it's not exact, but I need to know if it's closer to 30 yards or 50 yards as it will affect which club I'm using, and I'm terrible at judging distances by eye. Years ago before I had any GPS I used to try and estimate distances and I'd be wrong by a good 30 yards at times. It's exactly the same with estimating crowds of people, I'll look and it could be 100 or could be 500 people, I'll have no idea. Like the opposite of Rainman.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The answer to the original post question is that GPS is virtually useless for accurate readings for short game as,
A. GPS is only accurate to about 4/5 yards.
B. GPS doesn’t know where the flag is on the day.

Mandofred

Visit site
One of the reasons I like a laser....is for winter/temp greens. I'm constantly being asked what the distance is when they have a temp green. Their GPS is only set up for where the greens "should" be. I did play with a guy who was able to set his GPS to the middle of all the temp greens.....I think he just walked to the middle of them and set something on his device. I don't normally use a GPS, but I carry one of those little square ones on the days when it is raining/foggy....laser sucks on those days.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The answer to the original post question is that GPS is virtually useless for accurate readings for short game as,
A. GPS is only accurate to about 4/5 yards.
B. GPS doesn’t know where the flag is on the day.
Weird to object to people measuring 30 yards. Where is the cut off where it's alright? 40? 50? I tend to check the yardage for anything that isn't right by the green. Only on my GPS app so it's not exact, but I need to know if it's closer to 30 yards or 50 yards as it will affect which club I'm using, and I'm terrible at judging distances by eye. Years ago before I had any GPS I used to try and estimate distances and I'd be wrong by a good 30 yards at times. It's exactly the same with estimating crowds of people, I'll look and it could be 100 or could be 500 people, I'll have no idea. Like the opposite of Rainman.

What different clubs do you use from 50 and 30 yards?

It amazes me how at our standard how anybody would need a device for 30 yards

But we’re all different I suppose ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Anyone who uses the clock swing for different yardages will probably appreciate where he’s coming from.
30 to 50 yards if you practice enough is a totally different swing in length.

Like the flag in/out debate you have the choice that’s fine.
I thought the flag out yesterday was great the hole looked massive.
Still didn’t hole everything but I hade the choice

Life would be very boring if we all thought the same:)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Could use anything from a fairway wood to a putter.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Anyone who uses the clock swing for different yardages will probably appreciate where he’s coming from.
30 to 50 yards if you practice enough is a totally different swing in length.

Like the flag in/out debate you have the choice that’s fine.
I thought the flag out yesterday was great the hole looked massive.
Still didn’t hole everything but I hade the choice

Life would be very boring if we all thought the same:)

I meant what difference in clubs would need for the 2 yardages.

I appreciate that some that use the clock face swing but would they not generally use the same club?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I meant what difference in clubs would need for the 2 yardages.

I appreciate that some that use the clock face swing but would they not generally use the same club?
Depends 50yds over a bunker is a totally different shot to 50 yds nothing in the way.
I was taught get the ball on the ground as soon as possible so 6/7 iron , but over a bunker wedge / SW.
But 30/50 yards the same shot yes I would agree with the same club.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Could use anything from a fairway wood to a putter.

That’s stating the obvious and seems strange thing to post.

Who would generally putt from 50 yards??‍♂️ and before you say anyone on a links course that would not be that often

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Depends 50yds over a bunker is a totally different shot to 50 yds nothing in the way.
I was taught get the ball on the ground as soon as possible so 6/7 iron , but over a bunker wedge / SW.
But 30/50 yards the same shot yes I would agree with the same club.

We could have all sorts of scenarios where you could use different clubs for these yardages.

I think we were just talking about a straight forward shot from 30/50 yards?

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
A Garmin G30 or similar i'd say. They can zoom in to the green and allow you to set pin position, which in turn will give you more accuracy.
I'd personally go for a laser though, much more accurate.
While we do have a very good inate sense of distance, lots of courses have designs in to throw this off, so knowing the yardage can only help.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve lasered putts and chips especially around some rather large double greens. Partly for comedy value but also because I find a 9 iron bump and run quite effective from anywhere within 100 yards on certain greens. It’s much faster than pacing things out based on sprinkler heads and green sheets.

BiMGuy

Visit site
That’s stating the obvious and seems strange thing to post.

Who would generally putt from 50 yards??‍♂️ and before you say anyone on a links course that would not be that often

If it's stating the obvious, why ask the question.

I've just looked at the 9 holes I played Sunday. I had 4 shots between 30 and 50 yards. I use a 6 iron once, a 54* wedge once and a pitching wedge twice.

I don't know who would putt from 50 yards. I'm sure there are a few on here whondonit regularly playing links golf.

At my course its pretty easy to have a 30 yard shot that one could putt. Personally I use my hybrid is there is nothing to go over.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If it's stating the obvious, why ask the question.

I've just looked at the 9 holes I played Sunday. I had 4 shots between 30 and 50 yards. I use a 6 iron once, a 54* wedge once and a pitching wedge twice.

I don't know who would putt from 50 yards. I'm sure there are a few on here whondonit regularly playing links golf.

At my course its pretty easy to have a 30 yard shot that one could putt. Personally I use my hybrid is there is nothing to go over.

The best short game player at our club uses a p/w for all his shots from around 60 yards and in. We’re all different ?

Our resident pro Bob has often mentioned for years why some feel the need to use so many wedges, I’m sure he’s said in the past just learn to use a p/w.

BiMGuy

Visit site
I have 4 wedges. But I see my pitching and gap wedges as a 10 and 11 iron. My 54* is my primary sand wedge and 58* is for the odd occasion I need to go VTOL.

At my old club, I used a 50* on most shots from about 50 yards.

The green complexes and wind at my new club are very different and require a variety of shots depending on where you miss. That's not to say one club wouldn't work. Just it's easier for me to use different clubs depending on the situation.

I've even used my hybrid a couple of time on particularly long putts recently.