Best exercises for improving your golf?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As I am getting older I am definitely losing length. My average drives have gone down from about 260 yards to 210 yards, and I now struggle to reach long par 4's in regulation.

I'm just wondering if I could get some length back by exercising, and what the best exercises would be. Light weights and high number of reps, or heavier weights and fewer reps? I have quite strong legs from years of cycling and playing football, but may be lacking in upper body strength. Also seem to be getting less flexible with age. My golf swing is best described as three-quarters these days.

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As I am a member of a gym, I was thinking more about gym type exercises. I am not sure that I want to attend Pilates or Yoga classes full of middle-aged ladies wearing leotards! :(

D

Deleted member 15344

The yoga and Pilate classes I go to are attend by all ages and both sexes.

And what does it matter who else is in the class - surely it's just about what you get from the class.

Three

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Didn't you ask the same thing recently?

You need flexibility and speed, unfortunately it's a fact of life that we lose these with age.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
A strong core will help, I have been seeing a physio for a hamstring issue and we got talking about my golf game, he advised working on my abs to help strengthen the core so i can take pressure off my back, strength in my legs has always been good, I have a good base, but the hammys are tight and struggling so lots of stretching and excercise, bands, squats and Romanian deadlifts, all that can be done at my gym, and using the trx to double leg squat and then single leg squat both sides.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
Some good stuff in here:

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/coreworkout

Basically you'll want core stability combined with mobility in the upper body.

Everything that strengthens your core (especially the back) will help: planks, glute bridges, etc. Find a couple of exercises (2-4 different exercises) and do 3 sets of each, 3 times a week.

Find some rotational mobility exercises for your hips, back and shoulders. Do one set of each every morning after you get up.

Round everything off with some good stretching session, ideally every day but at least after every 'core session'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
You need to swing the club rather than HIT at the ball. Keeping all the muscles loose that enable you to swing the club at speed is important. If might also be that the shaft in your club isn't best suited to your swing speed.