Best Ever Holiday?

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First visited in the early 80’s, and went back every few years through to about 2015. Our ’go to’ place now is Taormina, Sicily. We stay at the Hotel Villa Angela, a short walk above the town - owned by Jim Kerr of Simple Minds… bit surreal seeing him pad around in his dressing gown, lovely chatty guy.

Taormina is, for me, Sorrento from 35 years ago. Not too touristy, and locals still have time to chat. Just down the coast, below Catania, is Syracuse and well worth the drive.
We’re thinking of going back next year, so will be sure to check this out.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our best was probably visiting family who were expat in Zambia for a few years. We spent lovely 2 weeks there in perfect low 20's, sunny weather. We camped and took boat trips on various parts of the Zambezi river, visited the Victoria falls and also enjoyed a safari trip in neighbouring Botswana where we camped inside Chobe National Park.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our second trip to Lake Garda. Love the area, we'd learnt a few bits and pieces from our first visit which helped second time around and the lake is just a beautiful / relaxing place to be. Will hopefully return next year.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
a round trip through the Baltic countries Estonia, Latvia and Lituania in perfect weather. highly recommended

Swango1980

Visit site
A long weekend in Nice in 2016. However, to be fair, it was the opening weekend of the Euro's, and my team (N.Ireland) were playing on the Sunday night. So, it was a rocking atmosphere all weekend, and the weather was fantastic. Sadly, it is quite a specific holiday, and gives you no ideas for yourself, unless you fancy a trip to Qatar in the winter?

sunshine

Visit site
Difficult one, so many great memories, a few of the posts above have reminded me of some fantastic experiences.

I’m going to with carnival in Brazil. So much fun. Amazing sights like the beaches of Bahia, the waterfalls at Iguazu (beautiful helicopter ride), sugar loaf mountain, the girls on ipanema and copacabana, watching a game at the maracana, and the whole debauched party vibe of carnival.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
One that stands out was our trip to Sorrento and Capri. The Amalfi Coast is absolutely stunning and Capri is beautiful. Spent our time eating some of the best food I’ve ever eaten, drinking lots of Limencello and exploring the many sights on offer: Mount Vesuvius, Pompeii, Herculaneum, the Blue Grotto etc. The wife loved the shopping in Capri and I enjoyed trying out as many of the trattorias I could.

Yes, Italy!
Rome- wonderful city. I'm a bit of a history guy, and walking through the Forum, and then the Colosseum etc.Wow
Highlight of Rome wasn't St Peters basilica, awesome as it was , but the Pantheon. That dome... and the original bronze doors. To put your hand on them where maybe Emperors did...!

Then to the Amalfi coast, and Pompei. And in that weather.

Eating out in the evening, alfresco, in Italy cannot be bettered.

Lovely place, Italy.