Best ball for somebody with slow swing speed please

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My average swing speed is around 80 m.p. h. Handicap 21

Direction is quite straight with a slight fade possibly due to coming over the top a bit. Age is a factor and slight health problems with drive in region of 175/180 yards.

Any recommendations for the most preferable ball. Have been using Bridgestone E6 and AD333 but find very little difference between any ball!

Thanks for any help

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do you want from the ball?

Out and out length would probably be the Callaway supersoft. Decent length with more spin (height, control and stop) Bridgestone 330 RXS - but at that clubhead speed you aren't going to get a whole lot of spin anyway (but every little helps!)
E6 is a great ball already - see q1 above...

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I wouldn’t over think it,doubt you’ll see much difference between any mid range ball.
Bridgestone e6
Srixon ad333 for example.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What do you want from the ball?

Out and out length would probably be the Callaway supersoft. Decent length with more spin (height, control and stop) Bridgestone 330 RXS - but at that clubhead speed you aren't going to get a whole lot of spin anyway (but every little helps!)
E6 is a great ball already - see q1 above...
Length really is priority

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Only real way your going to hit the ball further is to improve you technique as well as maximize what you already have in terms of launch etc.
There is no legal ball thats going to give you any massive gains.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only real way your going to hit the ball further is to improve you technique as well as maximize what you already have in terms of launch etc.
There is no legal ball thats going to give you any massive gains.
Nope - this isn't true.

The overall distance any ball will travel for any specific conditions will depend on a number of factors that include the aerodynamics (dimples) and spin rates...and the requirements to optimise these will differ with a range of launch conditions.

Whilst you can't get a magic ball that delivers more than a 1.5 smash factor that is far from the end of it for someone with, for example, a clubhead speed of X, aoa of Z and launch angle of Y. Different balls could easily give significantly different carry and roll figures

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Nope - this isn't true.

The overall distance any ball will travel for any specific conditions will depend on a number of factors that include the aerodynamics (dimples) and spin rates...and the requirements to optimise these will differ with a range of launch conditions.

Whilst you can't get a magic ball that delivers more than a 1.5 smash factor that is far from the end of it for someone with, for example, a clubhead speed of X, aoa of Z and launch angle of Y. Different balls could easily give significantly different carry and roll figures

Of course its true, unless you buy some of the illegal balls. All balls go pretty much the same distance for a given swing. You may get 3,4 or 5 yds but thats pretty insignificant.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My swing speed is not much more than yours and when I went for a driver fitting the pro recommended the Srixon AD333

D

Deleted member 23344

We sound very similar ... not sure of my swing speed, but it isn’t fast (I’m 67), and I’m off 24. I switched to Callaway Supersoft a few months back and have been pleased with them ... a good balance of distance and control.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I too would recommend the Wilson DX2. If you are man enough, go get the ladies version, which is even softer. But generally, the difference in distance is not that great. I just went to a Titleist ball fitting last Saturday (mostly because they give you free samples of their golf balls). The guy recommended either the Titleist Tour Soft or the DT Truesoft for me (my swingspeed is even a bit lower than that of the op). But he also said that the difference in distance between their "longest" and "spinniest" ball is just about 3 yards on a full shot. So I would not worry about that too much and just go with a ball which you like the feel of.