Ben hogans?

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My pro has a second hand set in, they are cavity backs but has anyone had any experience of how they play? Are they any good or a bit naff? I ask as I am Looking for some new irons and could be tempted if their not too expensive :)

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hogan were one of the top brands especially for forged irons and were used by many top players notably Tom Kite. Once upon a time if you had Hogan blades in your bag you were a serious player.

They were taken over by Callaway and I think they are now mostly sold via American Golf so their profile and reputation has suffered a bit.

Thing is if you hit them and like them and the price isn't bad don''t worry about the brand.

I do think it is funny how some of the great old brands like Hogan, MacGregor, Wilson etc no longer have the cachet of say Nike (didn't they make running shoes?).

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Father in law has a set of hogan irons, about 6 years old, still nice, good feel to them. They are forged and back then they cost over £600, if you were to get them in a shop now in the condition his are you'd prob pay around £125 and they hit just as well as any other game improver.

Don't forget it not what your holding, its who's holding it.

Mr_T

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys, by the sound of it they sound like decent clubs, he has those and a set of secondhand cally x16s so I'll test both plus another maybe and go with what I like best, I'm not an expert on forged clubs, what's the difference between forged and cast and does it have an effect on how long they last etc?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah forged versus cast. One of the old chestnuts for debate.

Forged clubs are made by taking a piece of mild steel, heating it and hammering or pressing it into shape. Usually done by machines these days. Cast clubs are made by pouring molten steel into a mould.

Have a look here

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/forging/forgingahead.php

Forged clubs tend to be made from a softer steel than cast ones (although Vokey wedges are cast but from a soft steel) and have a different grain structure. Some people believe that as a result they "feel" better. People will debate about whether an average player can really tell the difference. Cast clubs tend to last a bit longer as they don't mark so easily. Forged club heads tend to be simpler and sleeker in design. Cast clubs can be made into more "forgiving" head shapes. Players of all abilities can use forged or cast clubs equally well (or badly).