Beginners wedge gapping question

jamesl1989

Visit site
Hi all, picking up golf again after about 10 years of not playing. I’ve just bought a set of Titleist AP1 716s. The highest loft wedge is the gap at 47. My understanding is that a PW should be around this loft, are these clubs just a bit stupidly lofted? I’m looking at adding a SW, but not sure whether to get say a 54 SW and have 3 wedges, or a 52 and 56 and play 4 wedges. 4 wedges seems a bit high but also not sure if there’s too much gapping between those three.. thanks

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you haven't played for ten years then club lofts will come as a surprise to you. Google 'loft creep' in golf for more info. Basically yes, irons are all stronger lofted than they were ten years back. It's up to you to decide how big gaps to go for though.

My PW is 44° so I have 50 and 56 wedges. Even by modern standards 47° for a gap wedge sounds quite strong.

albatross2

Visit site
Manufacturers have been touting increased length for years now, while they steadily decrease lofts. As technology has advanced (center of gravity, MOI, shaft tuning, etc.) and can provide better player assistance, it has become possible for them to strengthen lofts and increase distances. Your PW is 43*. Consider that the AP2 716 PW loft is 46*. Despite the fact that the AP1 is supposed to be easier to hit, you have far less loft in your irons. The player's aid is working.

Flight characteristics matter more than loft. In any set of clubs, I believe it's fundamental to manage the gaps inherent to those clubs. As you play with the clubs, pay close attention to your gap between the PW and the W. If that gap is less than 10 yards, you should consider replacing the W. If it's 12-15 yards, you're probably in the right range. After that gap wedge, you should consider how you play. Where are your typical approaches? How do you like to play around the greens - high lofted shots or lower running shots? With what loft are you comfortable in greenside bunkers?

I don't think there are objectively right answers here. Intuitively, I find it unlikely that you would want to play ONLY one more wedge. 53* might fill the gap, but wouldn't provide needed loft in many circumstances. 58* would leave you a massive distance gap. If you go to only one more wedge, I suspect a 54*-55* could work. If so, I'd look at an Edel that you can lay open without raising the leading edge (DVR grind) in order to give you more playable option.

Another option would be to forego the W in your set and get 2-3 new wedges. For me, I play with a PW in my set, but I think of it as an iron, not a wedge. Indeed, I don't like the head of the AP1 (or AP2 or AP3) as a wedge. Then, I carry 3 wedges - 50*, 55*, 60*. Given that your PW is 43*, you could certainly consider 48*, 53*, 58* (or 60*) and likely have very solid gapping through the wedges, with a bit more gap btw. the PW and the 48*.

albatross2

Visit site
If you haven't played for ten years then club lofts will come as a surprise to you. Google 'loft creep' in golf for more info. Basically yes, irons are all stronger lofted than they were ten years back. It's up to you to decide how big gaps to go for though.

My PW is 44° so I have 50 and 56 wedges. Even by modern standards 47° for a gap wedge sounds quite strong.

The AP1 716 defy convention. Check this out: 3-19*, 4-22*, 5-25*, 6-28*, 7-31*, 8-35*, 9-39*, PW-43*, W1-47*, W2-52*

With today's clubs, it's all about choosing your gaps. If you play 3 wedges, you'll have a gap at the short end or a gap between wedges - but you should be able to control your gaps better at the other end. If you play 4 wedges, you should be able to dial in the gaps in those scoring shots, but may have a big gap elsewhere.

Personally, I play Putter, Driver, 3-wood <20 yards> 23* hybrid <15 yards> 19* hybrid <15 yards> 5 <12 yards> 6 <12 yards> 7 <12 yards> 8 <12 yards> 9 <12 yards> P <15 yards> 50 <12 yards> 55 <15 yards> 60. I dropped both 4i and 3i and replaced with hybrids I find more versatile. My two biggest gaps are with that 19* that I can choke down on or shape to control distance, and P - 50* and I am comfortable working distances with my wedges. Math: 152 yards of gaps, 235 yards with 19*, 83 yards with 60*.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The PW at 47 degrees is a decent starting point. From personal preference I'd go 53 and a SW of 58 to get a fairly even spacing and then go out and learn my distances with all of them with a 3/4 1/2 and very short 7 o'clock type swing

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My AP3s are similar and I carry four wedges
I just consider the pw as a 9 iron.
I have 48/52/56/60.
These are your scoring clubs I don’t carry a 4 iron so some gaps that end but I can handle that.
I do swop and change depending what course I am playing, but at mine short game is more important.
Sw is important loft / bounce depends on your sand.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play ap1.. the pw is 43 degree now it goes same as my 46 Vokey used to so I kept it

I play.. pw then 50,54 and 58 but could drop the 54 in a heartbeat these days

Personally I’d go for pw, 52 and 60 .. next time I change that’s my plan

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The PW at 47 degrees is a decent starting point. From personal preference I'd go 53 and a SW of 58 to get a fairly even spacing and then go out and learn my distances with all of them with a 3/4 1/2 and very short 7 o'clock type swing

But his pitching wedge is 43°.......which is why the gap wedge is 47°.

Why does everyone have to confuse things!

Wolf

Visit site
Pretty much all irons are stronger tofted these days. My PW is 45d so I 50, 54 and 60 though I'd prefer a 58 which would be ideal for me.

Best thing is to find your own comfort zones with them and gap accordingly

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, picking up golf again after about 10 years of not playing. I’ve just bought a set of Titleist AP1 716s. The highest loft wedge is the gap at 47. My understanding is that a PW should be around this loft, are these clubs just a bit stupidly lofted? I’m looking at adding a SW, but not sure whether to get say a 54 SW and have 3 wedges, or a 52 and 56 and play 4 wedges. 4 wedges seems a bit high but also not sure if there’s too much gapping between those three.. thanks

Something around 56 should always be chosen that suits the bunkers where you play the most. It is not just the loft but also the bounce that is important with this wedge.

Soft very fluffy sand goes for something 12-14 bounce, medium depth (around 1-1.5 inc) slightly average consistency sand something around 8-10 bounce.

And yes I totally agree with the comment that PW lofts have become stupid. They are no longer suited to most greenside shots where height, drop and stop is required.

I am another who thinks that a club with PW on the bottom is a 9 iron and even an 8 iron with some modern sets.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
My PW is 46 so I play 50* 54or 56 (depends on how soggy the ground is) and a 60*. My 54 has more bounce so I use it through winter and the 56 less bounce so good for tight lies in the summer.