Beginners advice

Liam_x7

Visit site
Hello, I’ve had lessons now for around 6 months now I’m 28 and of an average build. I’m using the Cobra F-Max irons steel shaft regular along with a 4 and a 5 graphite hybrids.
I’m pretty good at the driving range with a steady swing, However whenever I get onto the course with my dad I just get the nerves and my form from the range seems to disappear completely, I know hitting off a mat is easier than grass but after 7 holes today I called it a day. My question is how can I improve my driving range form to the course? My dad came round with me today he plays off around 5 his best was 2 back in 2000/2001 but we called it off after 7 holes today as I was getting demoralised after every hole. Thanks for reading.

Siolag

Visit site
Don’t try and beat a 5 handicapper.

Don’t think every shot needs to be a beezer. Have a rough plan for your shot, but make sure it’s one you can do (not a 200 yard carry or anything).

Ignore the par for the hole and just count your shot.

Savour the good shots, which everyone has.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sons playing with Dads who are good golfers can be very intimidating. I had the same problem with my son.

You want to play like them but it takes time to get there. Just remember your dad did not start out as a 5 handicap golfer he probably started out just like you

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You have to learn to play on the course and it's hard. We all had to start the same way you did and WE all struggled like you. To be honest your dad will need to be more supportive on the course. It is suppose to be fun but you also have to cut yourself some slack. It will take time, but try and learn every time you go out. If I was going to be blunt, if you walk off too often it becomes the easy option or tells you golf isn't the game for you

Liam_x7

Visit site
You have to learn to play on the course and it's hard. We all had to start the same way you did and WE all struggled like you. To be honest your dad will need to be more supportive on the course. It is suppose to be fun but you also have to cut yourself some slack. It will take time, but try and learn every time you go out. If I was going to be blunt, if you walk off too often it becomes the easy option or tells you golf isn't the game for you
Yeah I wasn’t playing against him he just came for some fresh air, we were only playing the back 9 anyway.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah I wasn’t playing against him he just came for some fresh air, we were only playing the back 9 anyway.
It'll come. I've been playing for over 40 years and can still chop it around like and absolute beginner. Cut yourself some slack, work on the stuff at the range and then go out and simply play and trust what you've done in practice and try not to clog your head up with too many swing thoughts

Fabia999

Visit site
When I first started, I was only focused on hitting the ball a/ straight and b/ in the air. If that meant I only put 50% power into my shots then that's what I done. Don't worry about hitting the ball xxx yards. Distance will come. Focus on the swing.

I was like you at first, I absolutely hated it when I couldn't hit the ball where I wanted to hit it. Would still massively lose my head too. Stick with it, try some par 3/beginner courses, most importantly enjoy it!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hello, I’ve had lessons now for around 6 months now I’m 28 and of an average build. I’m using the Cobra F-Max irons steel shaft regular along with a 4 and a 5 graphite hybrids.
I’m pretty good at the driving range with a steady swing, However whenever I get onto the course with my dad I just get the nerves and my form from the range seems to disappear completely, I know hitting off a mat is easier than grass but after 7 holes today I called it a day. My question is how can I improve my driving range form to the course? My dad came round with me today he plays off around 5 his best was 2 back in 2000/2001 but we called it off after 7 holes today as I was getting demoralised after every hole. Thanks for reading.

I'd also suggest playing more at the course and less at the driving range.

If you are playing with someone, make sure you are getting a reasonable number of shots... perhaps a shot a hole off someone off 5. And just concentrate on trying give yourself a putt to tie him. i.e. if you've got a shot, then use it, don't waste it.

Game management can help. Don't try and hit hybrids for every 2nd shot. Take a nice mid iron and just put yourself in position. Much less pressure trying to hit a fairway than trying to aim for a flag or small green. Then you have a shorter iron or wedge for your approach.

If you have 220 yards... an easy 7 iron should leave you with less than 100 yards and then you have basically turned the hole into a short par 3... but with a par 4 sized green!

You will gain a lot more confidence hitting successful mid and short irons as opposed to thrashing a hybrid into the trees every other hole.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sons playing with Dads who are good golfers can be very intimidating. I had the same problem with my son.

You want to play like them but it takes time to get there. Just remember your dad did not start out as a 5 handicap golfer he probably started out just like you
This is exactly what happened to me .
I could see that he was trying to keep up with me off the tee.
What I did was hit 5 iron off the tee so I wasn’t out hitting him all the time.
But at your age you should be past trying to beat Dad.
You need to study what your dad does ,how he goes about his routine, set up etc.
Golf is not played on a range and the best thing to learn is the short game.
Play alone a bit and just enjoy yourself, it takes time nobody is a 5 cap without working on it.
Good luck, it’s a sport you can play with your dad grandad so enjoy it while you can!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Like said above play more on the course and use the range to practice different things, go round the course yourself and play at your own pace, go round with a couple of balls getting use to aiming at the target, different lies, elevations ect that will improve you quicker than range time, I'd keep up the lessons tho

RangeMonkey

Visit site
Like said above play more on the course and use the range to practice different things, go round the course yourself and play at your own pace, go round with a couple of balls getting use to aiming at the target, different lies, elevations ect that will improve you quicker than range time, I'd keep up the lessons tho

These are the kinds of things that are starting to help me. Especially playing a couple of balls. I don’t do that for every shot, but I’m. It keeping score, I’m learning to play on grass.

So if I find myself in a tricky lie, I’ll drop an extra ball or two, and play them all, just for the practice.

Also, I had arranged an on-course lesson for in about a month, but that’s going to have to be postponed.

Maybe worth thinking about...

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Here's a cheerful thought, if you're 28 then your Dad is probably in his 50s so his golf has probably peaked and is now sliding inexorably downhill. On the other hand, as a beginner, you have the opportunity to get better quite quickly. There's a good chance you may meet in the middle.

When I started (about eight years ago), my Dad was giving me 20 or 30 shots - now we're both off 18.