Beginner used driver suggestions

OllieM

Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking to spend around £100 for a used driver that's still in good knick.

Being a relatively new player with a high handicap, I'm looking for something with a loft of around 10.5 and to be quite forgiving.

May anyone have any suggestions with what to look for? I see some are available on Golfbidder, Golfclubs4cash etc. However, I don't know where to start!

Thanks,

Ollie

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Go to your local Pro or driving range, they'll probably have a selection of 2nd hand drivers/ clubs that you can try , but don't have to buy unless it suits you.
Don't just buy a club without trying it first , best of luck.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Ping are usually the most forgiving drivers out there. Golfbidder are low on stock at the minute so more expensive at the moment. Normally I'd say you can get a G25 for £100 but not at the moment.
You could always try and grab this one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ping-g25...014733?hash=item3da64c2b4d:g:g6sAAOSw5nFe~e~E

TaylorMade M2 always gets a good write-up as well, another one to maybe have a scour on ebay for.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The chances are in the early days the biggest factor in good or bad is going to be you, not the club you buy.
People will have their preferences and ones that have worked for them. In reality there isn't a massive amount between relatively recent clubs due to the rules.

This site has loads to read if that way inclined
https://mygolfspy.com/2017-most-wanted-the-best-driver-for-your-swing-speed/
In a way though they usually confirm the differences are not that large.

Last edited:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd personally recommend going for something neutral (i.e. avoid Drivers with adjustable weights or with fade / draw bias) and also one that has any weight forward. You want any weight to be as far back as possible, to provide a bigger sweet spot.

Nothing against adjustable weights, but until you have a repeatable swing then you'd be tempted to tinker for the sake of it.

Likely that a regular flex shaft will be suitable. Or at least not cause you significant problems that a softer or stiffer flex might.

jamiet7682

Visit site
I put a post on the for sale/wanted board on here and got a very good deal on a ping g10 driver. Few years old but perfect condition and does the job for a beginner.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I remember being in a similar position and when I asked a similar question got told to go and speak to club pro etc, which is good advice, but I think you were looking for an actual club recommendation so here;

Taylormade RBZ - any from that range, but should be able to get original rocketballz one for about £60-70. That's the first one I had.

Callaway XR range. Any within this range seemed decent for me. I've currently got an XR speed in the bag. Think that would cost about £200 but the standard XR or XR16 would be closer to £100.

And Benross. Any benross is worth a look I'd say. Generally cheaper than other brands because they don't pay tour pros to use their stuff, but it's good quality.

All personal, so what works for me might not work for you, but that's what I'd suggest to take a look at